Media Monkey for Traktor? Help!
    Tech Convert

Default Media Monkey for Traktor? Help!

I've been trying to organise my iTunes library for months. Unfortunately there's about 16000 tracks in there and some of them have been badly tagged from the beginning, approximately a decade ago. I bought Rinse thinking it would solve the problem, but it didn't. While it fixed a lot of tags, it also renamed a bunch. So now the original track name is something completely different and it's a pain in the arse to find some of my favourites!

I DJ with my S4 and when I copied my iTunes from my PC across to my Mac, none of the tracks would play in Traktor. I found Media Monkey as I'd heard that synchronising my tracks and cleaning the ID3V1 and V2 files would rectify the problem. It didn't and as I was supposed to be playing that night, I just dragged all my playlists from iTunes onto my removable hard-drive and entered the files directly into the Traktor 2.5 collection, which solved the problem temporarily.

I'm still stuck with this pain-in-the-arse problem of not being able to run everything from iTunes like I used to. So I'm wondering what the rest of you are using to get around the problem of cleaning up some very large and probably old libraries out there. How are you setting up for Traktor and if you're using software to help keep your tracks and playlists organised, what is it and why did you choose it?

Would really appreciate some insight from you guys!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I don't make my very large library available in Traktor. For you're problem though maybe check out Tune Up, I've never used it though. Even if it does work I think you'll find it won't completely fix everything and still screws some things up. There really is no substitue for doing it all manually because only then can you be sure the entire library is correct.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I don't make my very large library available in Traktor. For you're problem though maybe check out Tune Up, I've never used it though. Even if it does work I think you'll find it won't completely fix everything and still screws some things up. There really is no substitue for doing it all manually because only then can you be sure the entire library is correct.
    +1

Tune Up is OK, but it will screw some stuff up...
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

It sounds like you have a VERY long, tedious, boring job ahead of you. Bite the bullet and get ready for a lot of work. I'd say is first thing is to figure out how you want to organize your root folders. Artists names? Genres? Release dates? Once you have your root folders done, it's time to strap in and get your hands dirty. There's no easy fix except to go folder by folder. I'd suggest putting a "done" folder within every folder (if the root folders have more than a few songs in each), and edit them one by one.
    The way I did it when I had to tag a few years worth of music was to go folder by folder, and then color coded everything. Granted, I'm on a Mac, and not sure if the current windows OS has anything that lets you do that to individual files. Green was good to go/finished, no color was that it had to be done, and red was to say they were done, but might have been a low quality rip/bad file for DJing with.