Newb question..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newb question..

Default Newb question..

hey guys
    so i uploaded this mix on youtube also on DJTT after but then i got some tips about music selection cause some songs were clashing and he started talking about A major etc, it was a really usefull tip but he didnt give me a term for that so i couldnt really search it are there any threads explaining this? is there any software that can figure out the key of your songs?
    what keys mix well together and what keys dont?
    i got so confused with all of this ..
    |Macbook Pro| NI Traktor Kontrol S2| 2x KRK Rokit 6's| M-Audio Oxygen 49

it´s called mixed in key. every track has a special key. check out the mixed in key software http://www.mixedinkey.com/

I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

okay
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Mentor

God I can't look at that damn wheel anymore. Brings back memories of 3am theory study sessions for the past four years

What I think he was talking about is called harmonic mixing, which means taking two songs with similar keys and matching those keys which allows for an even smoother transition, and is an essential part of doing mashups. I've found that harmonic mixing typically sounds the best when done in the "perfect" intervals, namely the 1st, 4th, 5th, and 8th intervals. For example, matching a song in Amin with a song in Amaj will work fine, as it's the same root note (A). Similarly, matching a song in Cmaj will match with Gmaj, because G is a perfect 5th from C, and thus harmonizes with C. Major/minor does play a role, however if you're able to match the root notes of the two songs, then you should be golden most of the time. Noodling around on a piano for a bit and studying a small bit of chord theory will go a long way with this, namely knowing your perfect 4ths and 5ths. This is literally scratching the surface, but I hope it's enough to help you get started in harmonic mixing
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Wizard

Nice info from Ed Paris, DJ Sunshine and Chocoslayer.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Chocoslayer View Post
    i saw this video from Dubspot about the camelot system and i understand what he said and i kind of understood what u said until u started talking about 4th and 5th etc
    No worries. Basically every song has a "root" note, the note that the song comes back to. If you can hum a single note and the hummed note sounds like it goes with the song perfectly, you have more than likely found the root note. If you can find another song with either the same "root note" or one with a root note that compliments it (i.e. harmonizes with it), those work together great. If you do some delving into intervals, this should begin to make sense.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Oh, I went out sorry, if you want a free alternative rapid evolution 3 (google it) works fine once you suss it out

ahhh there you are haha i must thank you if you didnt watch the video i wouldnt have discovered all this about harmonic mixing and thanks to Ed paris and DJ Sunshine i understand it well at least i think i do haha this is just a wonderfull forum always makes me happy being on here ! and yea let me check out rapid evolution 3 even though i was thinking about buying mixed in key thanks Elliot1106
    |Macbook Pro| NI Traktor Kontrol S2| 2x KRK Rokit 6's| M-Audio Oxygen 49

If you have the money then check some articles comparing the two, you might hit lucky with a search of the blog/forum

Welcome to music theory my friend. Yes, DJing is more than slamming some tracks together You can mix without worrying about keys, but it won't sound as tight if the keys are all over the place.
    (Is it too early to make a Whitney Huston joke? )
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast