Tips and Tricks To Use While Mixing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Tips and Tricks To Use While Mixing

Hey guys! I have learned to beat match and can mix songs pretty well. I was wondering if you guys can tell me any tips or tricks I can use to make my mixes sound better or more funky. I know beat juggling and scratching are some ways, but what are some other ways. Or are there any tutorials or websites that can help with this? Thanks!

Tech Guru

My biggest tip is to limit the tricks as much as possible. Simple, done really well, is better than even your best tricks strung together.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Don't mix track A into track B only. Creat buildups with FX and looping, get the energy up and then bring it down slightly, then bring it up higher. Also, try not to just stay with 128-130 BPM, speed up and slowdown to build up tension in the mix. Think about your mix like a movie. Intro-plot-crisis-resolution-build up-climax-denument.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Mixers like the Pioneer DJM series have built in FX that allow you to perform tricks....either basic add-on FX or more complex ones depending on how deep you wish to go.

Add-on FX units like the EFX and RMX series (again all by Pioneer) all do what the mixers can and more.

Check out videos on Youtube and see which you think will suit you best.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

^i don't think OP is looking for new gear, he's looking for a way to make his mixes delicious.
    2007 Macbook Pro
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    ^i don't think OP is looking for new gear, he's looking for a way to make his mixes delicious.
    Ah, I get you...sorry if that's not what you meant OP...just a suggestion if you ever wish to get a new mixer/add-on to your set-up.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Don't mix track A into track B only.
    Why?
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

128-130 BPM
    At what point did he mention BPM or genre he's playing?

Ignore the BPM part OP ....play what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Why?
    Because after 4-5 hours it gets boring for the DJ and people on the dance floor. they could just listen to the radio or an iTunes playlist. A/B mixing is ok but put a little surprice in there every now and then just to make the night something more then just one more night out for the crowd.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

3heads first - he wants more punch to his mix, so dropping every track as the previous track is ending won't have the punch. Building up, breaking down and building up again will give it some punch, as well as using some fx or loops to help. I'm not at all saying that track A to track B sounds bad, if you have banger tracks, it will be great, but might lack the punch OP is looking for.

FV- most dance/house music is 128-130, mixing that through your whole mix kinda sounds a bit boring, but you already knew that.
    2007 Macbook Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast