need help! cant get sound from both pc speakers and headphones
    Tech Student

Default need help! cant get sound from both pc speakers and headphones

hey all,

so here is my setup:
    numark4trak
    focal xs PC speakers

i feel i have tried everything possible to have the ability to both play music from my speakers and cue into my headphones at the same time but i cant get it to work. i can only get the music to come through the pc speakers... never through the headphones. I have a traktor Audio 2 as well as i thought that would solve my problems but that may have been a useless purchase . So am i just configuring this thing wrong or do i not have the ability with the equipment i have? If not what are my options? Here are my settings as they are now which gives me sound through the speakers. Thanks so much for any help!

1.jpg2.jpg

In the first screen shot you gave, your audio device should be the 4trak's sound card not the speakers or PC sound card. The speakers will have to be connected to the main outs of the 4trak not your PC. You will need an adapter that will turn the stereo 1/8 speaker jack from the speakers into a left and right RCA male connectors which will go into the 4trak's main outs.

On the second screen, you select the monitor channels from the 4trak for your headphones and the main outputs from the 4trak for your speakers.

You really should read your manuals also. It may be a little confusing if this is your first go round with sound cards etc., but you may have saved yourself some time and frustration. The Traktor manual can be found by clicking help at the top left when not in full screen. Not sure how good the 4trak manual is about explaining anything, but the Numark site had a quick start guide, set up tips, and video. I didn't watch the video, but the tips and guide didn't cover this info. Maybe the manual does?

Anyway, hope this gets you going. BTW Radio Shack probably has the adapter you need. You want an adapter that is 1/8" stereo male (that will plug into the speakers) to 2 RCA males (that will plug into the 4trak).

You also may need 2 RCA cords to make a longer connection between the speakers and 4trak. If that is the case, your adapter could be 2 female RCAs and the RCA cords would be the standard male on both ends.

Tech Student

hey vangogo,

i got the speakers working like you said by using the 4trak sound card instead of having set on speakers like i did before... but when i have the headphones plugged into the 4trak i still cant get sound through them. There is nothing in the manual about it. For the output monitor the only options i have are outputs 1 through 4.

1 and 2 are set for my masters tho. Anymore thoughts? or would it work to get one of those cables you suggested and plug my headphones into the booth output?? sorry im so noob but thanks so much for the help!
    Last edited by dstroid; 05-31-2012 at 01:03 AM.

You should be able to set the monitor to 3 and 4 for your headphones if 1 and 2 are your main outs. The booth out is just the same as your main outs so that wouldn't allow you to cue a track in you heaphones. Make sure the volume knob for the headphones is up. Also you probably have a cue mix knob that will be to one side to just hear a cued track, in the middle to hear both cued track and main output, or all the way to the other side to hear just the main output.

Tech Student

that was it.. finally got em both workin together thanks so much!

Cheers