Mixed in key. - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mixed in key.

will do thanks for the information

I bought MIK a few months ago. I was using Rapid Evolution 3 for a while before that. RE3 worked, but it was kinda buggy and required a specific workflow to get around the issue (you couldn't load 1000+ tracks at a time, for example, without issue). MIK you can drag and drop files into it directly from iTunes, and with the AppleScript to refresh iTune's ID3 tags, you can even make sure the comments show up in Traktor's iTunes tree so you have your key information without having to make sure every track is already in your collection. With the key showing up before your comments, as mentioned, you can sort by comment in Traktor to get your keys for a given playlist in order. My impression is that you can do the same with Serato or VDJ, though I haven't used either a whole lot.

As for it not being 100% accurate - yeah, I'd agree. You can't just blindly rely on it. Thankfully once your ears are accustomed to mixing in key you can start to pick out what makes a decent mix harmonically vs. what doesn't. As long as you listen to the two songs together as you're prelistening, you can hear if they sound harmonically decent as a mix by the time you're done beatmatching. They may not sound great at that point - so in order to find another potential harmonic mix you can look back to your comments and find one. Basically it's made me more efficient in quickly finding mixes that will work well together so I have more time to blend long transitions, play with loops, EQ, effects, etc. It's not perfect, but most audio software isn't, and it works well enough to be well-worth the $$. The only issue I have with it is that you have to buy a separate license for PC and OSX - that I found intensely irritating, but oh well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234