Mixed in key.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mixed in key.

Default Mixed in key.

hi all. A couple of questions about mixed in key software.

Im looking at getting a MIDI Fighter 3d for mashup's etc and being in key with mashup's is obviously a requirement! (as well making mixes smoother)
    Has anyone used/got mixed in key and can they recommend it? Does it integrate well with Itunes/Traktor etc as claimed?

Obviously the site is gushing forth reviews from top DJ's but thats to be expected.

Any and all help appreciated Chaps!

Tech Mentor

Meh, I think the software is abit useless. I tried it, and sometimes it's just not accurate. It can help you sure, but not worth the 50 bucks. Your ears work alot better

Tech Convert

I use MIK, its definitely worth it if you plan to integrate harmonic mixing into your sets.
    Can't say it does link up with Traktor but it overwrites previous comments with KEY and BPM.

Quote Originally Posted by markusj View Post
    Can't say it does link up with Traktor but it overwrites previous comments with KEY and BPM.

Can you expand on that?

Tech Convert

Yeh sure, MIK overwrites the MP3's previously stored comment on the ID3 tag.

Ah okay. Does it make it any harder to navigate around your library?

Tech Convert

I think thats down to however you burn CDs, software you mix from etc - I find it no bother at all.

It gives you options; you can overwrite comments or just store the key in the "Key" tag in ID3. Or you can add to comments, so if you don't want your comments deleted, it will add the key like "4A - startlingly funky krautrock" or whatever. It can add key info in Camelot code or just write the actual key name. Well worth the $50 in my opinion, but I'm not terribly tied to harmonic mixing either. As far as it getting things "wrong," you have to understand these things are pretty subjective ultimately; the best that can be said for key recognition software is that it is internally consistent, so that if you mix 4A with 4A they will work together even if they aren't really 4A.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    It gives you options; you can overwrite comments or just store the key in the "Key" tag in ID3. Or you can add to comments, so if you don't want your comments deleted, it will add the key like "4A - startlingly funky krautrock" or whatever. It can add key info in Camelot code or just write the actual key name. Well worth the $50 in my opinion, but I'm not terribly tied to harmonic mixing either. As far as it getting things "wrong," you have to understand these things are pretty subjective ultimately; the best that can be said for key recognition software is that it is internally consistent, so that if you mix 4A with 4A they will work together even if they aren't really 4A.
    all of this.

especially the bit about it being internally correct.

Ive come to know my music a lot better now, but i have used MIK a lot to just search for tracks in key to keep a smooth progression going in the mix. Im sorry - but i just don't care if a track is a major of this or a minor of that. Ive used MIK to very quickly pull up tracks that i know will work without having to think at all and enjoyed the result. So on those grounds alone id recommend it.

not that the above approach was right, over time i have come to identify tracks that will work much more naturally, but just like DJ software, its a great accelerator to start enjoying the benefits right away.

well it was for me anyway.
    13" Core I7 MBP | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | 2 X Kontrol X1 | 2 X Pioneer CDJ 900's | Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus

If you fancy some Progressive/Tech house sets please check my MixCloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jeffrey-clark/

Bottom line. MIK won't make you a worse DJ.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast