kontrol f1 or kontrol x1? that is the question...
    Tech Convert

Default kontrol f1 or kontrol x1? that is the question...

not sure which to get because i dont know "exactly" how either work, but hoping u guys could point me in the right direction. right now im still honing my skills on an kontrol s4 with traktor 2.5. playing electro, progressive, trance, and some top 40. but i would love to be able to have something a bit more portable to play on the go or in a club environment.

the f1 looks like its more designed to drop samples, personally I haven't really gotten around to playing with samples yet. so as of right now i dont need them but i always like to invest in the future and be prepared. my question is, can i still use the f1 say in club setup to enhance/replace the club mixer?

the x1 seems more suitable for doing the job in a club setting, with its ample knobs and designated buttons. also seems a bit more similar to the s4 as far as controls go.

show me the way djtt, thanks!

As you already said, the F1 is meant for shooting samples/clips, while the x1 is better for controlling Trackdecks. If you go to a club, you can also use your S4, you dont have to use the tts or cdjs most of the time!

You'll need a soundcard realistically too which will plug into seperate channels on mixer. How many channels depends on how many tracks you like to mix. Personally i like 3 stereo outs minimum. 2 decks and a preview channel. Audio 6 perhaps?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

A control X1, and an Audio 2 is perfect for portability (Macbook obviously as well). Recently headed over to Australia and needed something very compact. Took along an LPD8 mapped to control internal audio channels too. Managed to play at our villa to entertain after party's for 4 days.

As said the F1 is for playing samples with the remix decks. It can be mapped for Midi but the X1 is mainly for deck control.

Tech Wizard

Probably bit of a noob question - but what is the point of the X1 if you already have the S4? Looks to be a lot of the same buttons that are on the s4....

Thanks!
    trick

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    Probably bit of a noob question - but what is the point of the X1 if you already have the S4? Looks to be a lot of the same buttons that are on the s4....

Thanks!
    trick
    You can do most everything the X1 does on the S4, but it's much easier to have an X1 alongside an S4. When I had my S4 I had an X1 to run sample decks and FX bank 3 and 4 and really liked that setup.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

It would appear that you can map any command you like to the F1 with the midi mode, so you can double it up to perform its intended functions, and also those that you would map to an X1. However, the opposite is not possible in the reverse situation.
    That said, the X1 is also very well laid out for the purpose it is designed for. I've found my X1 invaluable in getting the most out of the program along with timecode control.

If i had to choose, i think the wiser choice is the one which allows you both facets of functionality. So the F1 is probably an all round better bet. However, if you're not going to use the remix decks in most of your performances, it seems like a superfluous function at all, in which case the X1 will definitely provide you with easy reach to the commands you'll want to use.

I was thinking about this exact question today! i think i've decided on the f1 because it has more functionality in my opinion.

Tech Guru

discount on f1 for people who allready own traktor pro 2.5 or TSP2.5

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    discount on f1 for people who allready own traktor pro 2.5 or TSP2.5
    Can you elaborate?