Beginners Kit-List?
    Tech Mentor

Default Beginners Kit-List?

Hey DJTT Forum members. BiggChev here.

So I've been doing music production now for 10+ years. Started doing mostly hip-hop/rap production, and I've moved towards electronic music (electro house + drum n' bass type stuff to be specific.) So now that I've got a few of my own songs and a few remixes in the works the question of "How do I take these tracks live?" has arisen.

I'm very inspired by the Dj Shiftee approach to DJ-ing. The concept of Traktor Scratch Pro, Computer and Maschine seem to give the flexibility to be creative and blends old school dj-ing with the new school style. Also It seems to be a more interactive and artist involved way of bringing your music to the audience, like the guitarist of a rock band for example.

I have:

-Mac Book Pro
    -Maschine
    -Sennheiser headphones
    -Monitors

Need:

-Turntable(s)
    -Mixer

Essentially what I'm looking for is input/suggestions on which mixer+deck combo to get. This is something new to me so I'm not looking to spend too much $$$...I just want to see what can be done. Also, though I do have, and quite like, Native Instruments products, I am open to any type of suggestions.

Much Appreciated,
    Chev
    Last edited by BiggChev; 06-01-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling error

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The DNX1600 is a great four channel mixer that is TSP certified so you won't need to by a sound card to run Traktor scratch. In fact if you already have traktor pro you can use the S4 upgrade kit to turn it into Scratch pro.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

If you like Native Instruments, and need a turntable and mixer still, why not look at the S4? Lots of buttons and knobs for mixin things up, more portable than decks and a mixer, and fully midi mappable.

But if you are set on turntables I won't try and sway you away from that, I love mine.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The DNX1600 is a great four channel mixer that is TSP certified so you won't need to by a sound card to run Traktor scratch. In fact if you already have traktor pro you can use the S4 upgrade kit to turn it into Scratch pro.
    And if you love TT's but want a modern way of doing it, try the Denon SC3900.

photojojo: is this the "S4 upgrade" you mean? TSP2 & Timecode Kit
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Tech Guru

How about 2 used 1200's and decent mixer on ebay. I picked up TASCAM XS-8 which is a rebadged ECLER HAK for 150.00 brand new. Only thing is you'll still need a DVS (digital vinyl system). I'm a little bias and prefer Serato Scratch Live over Traktor --- but this site has tons of well versed Traktor users that I'm sure can give you some recommendations on Traktor. I've tried many controllers (S4, VCI-100, VCI-300, DDJ-S1) and for me nothing beats the enjoyment of playing on turntables and a mixer.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

Hey guys, thanks for the prompt replies. I'll definitely look into each option and try to figure out which set-up is best suited for me.

@dripstep: I was thinking about the S4, like I said, I was inspired by DJ Shiftee and he happened to be using decks. But it's still definitely think about it. Also, as a musician, some variety of analog might open me up to pull out the guitar or something else not sure lol

@photojojo: the DNX1600 looks pretty damn cool however at nearly $1000, I'm not sure if it'll be an appropriate "starter" piece of gear.

@haze324: Thanks, I know everybody has their own preferences but being new I really have to bias towards DJ software. This may seem like a noob question but DVS? I see on the NI site they have the Traktor A10 and A6, would I be able to use the Komplete Audio 6 instead?

Tech Guru

DVS = digital vinyl system. You need an "approved" soundcard for DVS use for Traktor the A10,6,....line up and for for Serato the Rane SL-1,2,3, etc. OR there are certified mixers with built in approved soundcards. Basically what the soundcard does is it reads a "timecode signal" from a traktor record to the soundcard and that signal controls the track in the software then it sends the track sound out of the soundcard to the mixer. You need an approved soundcard or certified mixer for that timecode control.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

@haze: Thanks bud! That really clears things up. Now it's time to do some more research and make a decision. You lot have been quite helpful. Thanks again!

2 1210s and a rane ttm57

You won't regret it!
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud