is there a basic "rule" for mixing in 2 EDM songs, using crossfader + EQ's? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Lots of mix technique article on the blog. Here's a couple to get you started.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/01/2...e-perfect-mix/

http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/12/0...hich-when-why/
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    there are no 'rules' with DJing
    That's not true. There are a lot of rules…watch the levels, respect the chorus, music comes first, don't overuse anything, don't play premixed sets, etc.

@OP: I have 2 suggestions.

1 - Learn to mix without EQs. They're fine as tools, but if you can't mix without them, they're nothing but a crutch. And they'll harm your mixes more than sync and almost as much as effects if you use them as a crutch.

2 - If you can't mix without EQs, it's because you don't understand phrase matching and/or don't know how to listen to tracks. Good dance songs scream possibilities for mixing them. All you have to do is listen.

I've been mixing more with eq lately, the reasons I look for to use it, to gradually bring the bass of the new track in, to kill highs that may clash. I've also been guilty of using the eq as line faders for frequency, cross fader in the middle, eq at the bottom, then mix the incoming track into place by adjustments. I'm also pretty big on primarily mixing with line faders, the cross fader is to be used for special occasions, when I don't want to mess up my levels but quickly cut between tracks.

Using the crossfader frees up a hand. I prefer the crossfader when mixing EDM for that reason. That's what it's for after all

Tech Convert

i suggest you use a microphone and scream into it at the appropriate level the fader is at to complement the music...

you also need an MC to introduce every track...

and every track needs to be rewound 30 seconds in from the start...

Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jprime View Post
    Using the crossfader frees up a hand. I prefer the crossfader when mixing EDM for that reason. That's what it's for after all
    Yes.. having a free'd up hand allows you to do more knob twisting.. it is a rule to make yourself look busy!

Eq's are best used to make room between tracks. For instance, I like to take some of the mids out of track A to help the vocals in track B stand out. Filters are great for fast cuts in frequencies such as when cue hopping and beatmashing to make the snares and the downbeats stand out, but I find that filters tend to sound less musically pleasing than cutting out frequencies with the eq's such as general mixing. I also like to use filters when transitioning between clashing tunes or just to create instant drama.

Once apon a time, eq's were locked away out of the dj's reach and the only mixing tools were the faders. A good dj will drop the level of the outgoing track while simultaneously raising the incoming track to keep the overall volume level in check.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Tech Mentor

First rule. There are no rules.
    Second rule follow the first rule.

I always watch these videos for little tricks to throw in while mixing, And finding different mixing techniques. But then again i always do put my own touch on what i see. to make it personal.

4gb Macbook, X2 Technics 1210 Mk2's, Behring UMX Mixer Kontrol X1, Uc 33-e, Prodipe 25-key Midi Keyboard, X2 Kool Sound Monitors, Audio 6

Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, Logic Pro 9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12