is there a basic "rule" for mixing in 2 EDM songs, using crossfader + EQ's?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default is there a basic "rule" for mixing in 2 EDM songs, using crossfader + EQ's?

hey everyone! i've been getting into DJing over the past couple months, i use a traktor kontrol s2, traktor 2 pro, yamaha hs80m's, etc etc..

i've got my beatgridding, beatmatching, timing, etc all down pretty good at this point.. my biggest hurdle is getting the right balance in the EQ's when fading 2 dance music songs together..

currently, i'm basically just mixing by turning the LOW's all the way down on the 1 track and gradually turning it up as i turn the crossfader from left to right..

i know that this isn't the best way to do it, so i was hoping to see if anybody had any general "rules" (i know music and DJing isn't cut and dry or set in stone) in fading between 2 songs..

what i'm looking for is basically, as you gradually move your fader from left to right, how should you change the HI's, MID's and LOW's of the 2 tracks to make it sound decent? (for example, at 25% crossfader, your EQ's of the 2 tracks should be XYZ and at 50% (middle), your EQ's should be XYZ, so on and so forth..

i know that there's no real answer for this, and that music varies greatly, but i was hoping for a general "rule" to improve my technique.. thanks guys, i really appreciate you helping me to develop my skills!

Tech Mentor

I think you should consider using the line faders for mixing especially EDM, and not the crossfader.
    By doing this you have better control over both tracks.
    Reducing the base of the incoming one and blending them slowly with the EQs can be a good start IMHO.
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I haven't used the Xfader for quite some years now, you will get a lot more control over your mix using the line faders. Try to adapt your mixing to the track's phrasing, everything it's downhill that way.

Regarding specific values: there are none. Different mixers have different EQ response and it really depends on the tracks you are mixing, it's not surgery. Only general rule is make room before adding something else (that's why you cut the bass on the incoming track among other things).

Also, check djtutor's channel on youtube, the guy has some nice tutorials explaining the subject.

One simple rule, make it it sound good. Once you figure that out you'll be well on your way

Tech Guru

I also use line faders, there's no hard and fast rules, if you always mix the same way you're going to sound very boring

Quote Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
    I also use line faders, there's no hard and fast rules, if you always mix the same way you're going to sound very boring
    yes, dont use the cross fader.... line faders all the way.....I havnt seen an edm dj yet use the Crossfader....disengage that thing..

line faders, more control
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Quote Originally Posted by narrah View Post
    yes, dont use the cross fader.... line faders all the way.....I havnt seen an edm dj yet use the Crossfader....disengage that thing..

line faders, more control
    Line faders for the win.

Tech Mentor

THe rule is.....dont train wreck

I don't use the x-fader either much with 'EDM'. I'm a bit of a simpleton, so I'll generally slam the line fader of the new track right up with the Mids and Lows right down, and then swap the frequencies over every 16 or 32 beats with the natural phrases of the matched tracks. This means you can achieve some pleasant stuff, such as swapping the bassline over to the new track whilst still playing the mids from the old track (if they're harmonically matched) without making it too smooth. Works well with nu-disco funk basslines etc
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I haven't used the crossfader for mixing for at least 10 years....however, there are no 'rules' with DJing...making your own style is what it's all about and will ultimately result in you having more success going forward than if you copied everyone.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast