Does DJ need to be in the name?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Does DJ need to be in the name?

In another thread, some one was asking for help with their name as a DJ.

My question is, does "DJ" need to be in the name? I mean, I've come into this scene at a late age and have relatively just started mixing music. And I actually don't consider myself a "DJ", as I now only know how to "control" music with an S4 and Traktor. (yeah, I'd love to learn how to use turntables, scratch, etc. but haven't yet had the chance). But, I actually don't want to be called a DJ or have it in my name. DJ scamo or DJ whatever... (scamo is just a mix of my initials, BTW). My son, who is also learning to mix music with me, said we should call our selves "party pilots" or something similar. So does DJ really need to be in the name at all?

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Tech Wizard

My 2 cents, DJ doesn't need to be in your name, and I understand what you mean by not considering yourself a "DJ." The thing is though, to almost everyone you meet, you are a "DJ." People that are not in the loop when it comes to DJing have almost no clue what it is really about other than playing songs continually. So if you are in front of them playing music, you are a DJ, and they don't give a rats ass about how you do it. So if you don't include DJ in your name, you should still tell people you are a "DJ" strictly for promotion purposes so the layperson can have a general idea about what you do.

Good point. Thanks.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

You can only put DJ in front of your name if you have a doctorate in mixology from the University of Funk. Otherwise, no.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

I think the letters let people, who don't know who you are, know exactly what you do; without even having to ask you. You can drop it when you become popular enough, and your name is associated with DJing. It's good on posters and business cards too.
    You don't really need to have DJ in your name, you don't even need a DJ name, really. You just need a name period.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    You can only put DJ in front of your name if you have a doctorate in mixology from the University of Funk. Otherwise, no.
    This!

Nah, I just think you should go by what your happy with. Even though I started out on vinyl, I don't consider myself a DJ. I consider myself as a guy who really enjoys spinning tunes and making music in no particular order.

Nowadays it seems like DJing is a hip badge, where you have to wear it to be cool.
    Me, I always tend to shy away from being hip, I just want to do what I like, without having to think if it will be considered hip.
    So for me, no DJ badge please, just let me go at it. My aliases, Leslie Jones - RSTRCTD - Restricted Sessions, are badges enough.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

DJ HYPE

CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    I don't consider myself a DJ. I consider myself as a guy who really enjoys spinning tunes and making music in no particular order.
    Nowadays it seems like DJing is a hip badge, where you have to wear it to be cool.
    Yep! I also hesitate from making "DJ" part of my name since I think so many pubescent noobs have already abused that term that I don't feel I want to be correlated with that. The internet is full of "DJ Shitstorm", "DJ Cool", "DJ Hater", "DJ Dustbin", "DJ Hype" ( joke) and so on.

Well this was one subject I also thought about when coming up with my DJ name.

I decided to put it on my facebook name as people would be more easily associated with recognizing that I was a DJ and not something else. For my other social media things I dropped the DJ and just used my name. I think as you become more recognized, and people get to know who you are in the scene it becomes less important. Almost all of the DJ's in my area dont use it at all, just their names or aliases.

I have to say though sometimes it does sound pretty cheesy putting a DJ in front of your name, lol... I'm also thinking about changing my name to some knid of other funky cool alias soon, but have no clue as to what ha ha...
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Does skrillex have dj in front of his name?
    Armin Van Buuren? No dj infront of that.
    Cosmic Gate No dj in front of that.

Your question has been answered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast