Programming Light Shows... I'm so lost. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hola amigos View Post
    So whats the best way to get a decent light show set up?

Is it best to go buy the lights and software and just experiment with it? Was wondering how people time the light shows with the music and whats the best way to go about it.
    Well the first step is to read some of the information in this thread, because I know I already explained it. Second, would be to read the manual on what ever medium you use to control your lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    We program the lights in "sound mode"
    That's not programming. That's setting your lights to auto.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    That's not programming. That's setting your lights to auto.
    Fixed: Read the disclaimer

lol... programming does take a while, but man is it worth it in the end.

Tech Wizard

Alright guys, thanks for all the advice and information but i still have some questions.

i know there's really no plug and play, other than sound. And we really don't have anybody that would want to run a DMX controller for 4 hours during a show...

What i really want is a software that I can plug the music into and then manually make the show in the same software. I've only ever found software that lets you design shows, but not reeeeally to the music.

But now that i think about it, i'm not really sure how that would work. Obviously i'd be following a setlist but the transitional time/effects and such WON'T be planned out, so the lights wouldn't match. And if i miss one beat, i'm screwed for the rest of the night.

I wish i could manually make separate light effects for each song and tie it in with traktor. then as i do effects and such or select my songs, the lights could automatically go with the effects and transition time between songs. but that's crazy...

ideas?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Endure View Post
    Alright guys, thanks for all the advice and information but i still have some questions.

i know there's really no plug and play, other than sound. And we really don't have anybody that would want to run a DMX controller for 4 hours during a show...

What i really want is a software that I can plug the music into and then manually make the show in the same software. I've only ever found software that lets you design shows, but not reeeeally to the music.

But now that i think about it, i'm not really sure how that would work. Obviously i'd be following a setlist but the transitional time/effects and such WON'T be planned out, so the lights wouldn't match. And if i miss one beat, i'm screwed for the rest of the night.

I wish i could manually make separate light effects for each song and tie it in with traktor. then as i do effects and such or select my songs, the lights could automatically go with the effects and transition time between songs. but that's crazy...

ideas?
    Honestly, I wouldn't put too much trust into automating your lighting, anything that is in your price range is going to be flakey IMO. Just get a few lights with half decent sound chases and get a stomp controller to run some specials or find somebody that is willing to run visuals for you.

I have two ADJ LED par 64's that operate in master and slave via XLR. I usually just set them to change to music or fade through colors. They are fairly bright and perfect for a small mobile rig without looking cheezey. They can be programmed to change via controller and I always thought it would be cool to have a foot pedal switch to switch between the two settings I mentioned. I really wouldnt want anything more than that. Except maybe another switch to briefly kill those lights and flash a strobe. Best to just stick with simple wash lighting though. Too many cheap lights just scream amateur.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Quote Originally Posted by djfunke View Post
    Too many cheap lights just scream amateur.
    + infinity
    The lighting industry makes a fortune of guys who load up on horrible effect lights. With the popularity of uplighting, your better off just uplighting an entire room and running it on sound active, auto, and/or slave instead of half assing everything. In the end, you only look like an amateur who can't run with the pros. Also, you run the risk of losing present clients/followers who might not be into the low end feel of your event. Also, you can turn off future clientele too.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Theres plenty of people who do this for a living .. if its a big enough show hire someone.

If you really want to DIY it, spend time programming the lights into a desk beforehand into scenes/chases and be prepared to hit them in time with the breaks and builds, footswitch for strobe - I wouldn't even bother going down the software route having a few big buttons you can bang on for lights is easier - I'd just set up slow/med/fast scenes and chases with contrasting colors easily changeable for mood swings.

Fuck all people are going to care if the lights are chasing at 88 BPM and your music is at 95BPM so long as the breaks/builds and drops happen in sync and you aren't strobing at a quiet part.

I used to LJ/VJ and DJ but wouldn't consider doing them all at the same time, I always brought along someone who's judgement I trusted to run the lights - or else either your lights or mixes are going to suffer.
    Last edited by deevey; 06-04-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I wouldn't even bother going down the software route having a few big buttons you can bang on for lights is easier

Showxpress has an iphone/ipad app that gives you the same control environment as you get in the software. Also, it allows you to trigger scenes via a midi controller if you wish, though you have to learn what is connected to which scene in that scenario, where the iphone/ipad app shows you exactly what's on your computer screen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast