what are your thoughts on this buisnes opportunity?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default what are your thoughts on this buisnes opportunity?

some of my close friends from highschool and myself have had quite an interesting conversation the other day, one owns a clothing line, another just bought a night club that used to have a really bad name in my town, we changed the name and are doing renovations on it to make it more of a club than the crappy pub it used to be, and myself as a dj, what we were / planning on doing is, ill dj there ( at first just for drinks just because they need money for reno's but down the road id charge 100$ a night or something. ) , the owner has the venue, and my other friend would sponsor the event with his clothing line. ( id only be djing there on saturdays and some fridays , mostly the packed nights, theres 2 stages, one on a patio outside (its really cool and usually packed ) and a stage inside which needs lots of work )

what are your opinions on this idea?
    ----- ( 2 x ) Stanton ST 150's , Sure M44-7-h , Traktor Kontrol Z2, TSP2, Macbook, rane SL2 -----

Sounds like a blast but things might go sour when you can't fill up the nights. Would be a good chance for you to gain more djing experience but you might get tired of being tied down for a residency that doesn't pay if it things don't pan out. Also $ might kill friendships.

If you think your time is worth a few free beers, it probably is.

Now that being said, don't sell yourself short. I understand this is helping a buddy out. But honestly with any business you are going to have to look at your revenue vs cost relationship, and see if it really is /worth/ your time doing. Of course if you are illegally downloading tracks and not investing any money into gear, it's not going to be something you think twice about. I'm not saying that you are in any way, shape or form.

But DJing is something that isn't free. Gear, Music, and time are all valuable commodities. Nothing is free, neither should be your time.

It's something that I see in a lot of people just starting out. I've even done it myself before, playing charity gigs and not really expecting anything back. But that at least pays off in public relations, and selling yourself as a brand.

Long story short: Don't sell yourself short.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Do it but maybe get something in writing that guarantees payment in the future.

Back when I started out Djing I turned a non paying residency in a club nite which got really big through every bodies hard work into regular paying gigs in raves and events. This was in the early 90's and having my name in the cities music papers every week really help with getting the extra paying gigs.

Im no businessman, but i did read in the 'hacienda:how not to run a club' that you should never go into business with friends.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    If you think your time is worth a few free beers, it probably is.

Now that being said, don't sell yourself short. I understand this is helping a buddy out. But honestly with any business you are going to have to look at your revenue vs cost relationship, and see if it really is /worth/ your time doing. Of course if you are illegally downloading tracks and not investing any money into gear, it's not going to be something you think twice about. I'm not saying that you are in any way, shape or form.

But DJing is something that isn't free. Gear, Music, and time are all valuable commodities. Nothing is free, neither should be your time.

It's something that I see in a lot of people just starting out. I've even done it myself before, playing charity gigs and not really expecting anything back. But that at least pays off in public relations, and selling yourself as a brand.

Long story short: Don't sell yourself short.
    I agree with all this above.

Right now it seems like it's all shits and giggles...lets get a club going, lets get you playing, lets get it sponsored by the clothing company - it won't be easy. As mentioned in another post it might fail and look badly on you failing to pack it out with your DJing. Or it might become a big success and you will want more money, money they might not pay you and then the arguments begin.

I think you need to really go though every possible outcome with your friends so you all know where you stand and how things could go.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

i say give it a shot. there's a million dudes who will dj for free, that will come after you. so don't feel bad if you don't want to dj at the club after a while.

Tech Wizard

its kinda a niche market because they want to go more of " underground " music, instead of most nightclubs, they want to play glitch hop, ghetto funk, trap , etc, none of the top 40 or electro stuff. which makes it more fun, i dont dj for the money, i do it for the passion for the music. hopefully it turns out good, because the owner ( my buddy ) said once the reno's are done he would be more than willing to pay, and in my town ( its tiny lol ) we have 2 clubs 1 gay bar, one nightclub, and now this one, so i think it will work, if not there are always more gigs out there 8)

pretty much anything youd hear at Shambhala music festival
    Last edited by djdust1724; 06-24-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    ----- ( 2 x ) Stanton ST 150's , Sure M44-7-h , Traktor Kontrol Z2, TSP2, Macbook, rane SL2 -----

Do a few free nights, promote to your close friends, etc. If it doesn't pick up after about 3 events then just remove yourself from the project.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

at first just for drinks just because they need money for reno's
    Renovations are the sole responsibility of the club owner, unless you own a stake in it, its not your problem to "help out".

You are the only one thats working for free by the sounds of it and yet being depended on to create an atmosphere.

I agree with Kwal, decide on maybe three nights for free "to help them out" OR a small cut of the bar take.
    Last edited by deevey; 06-24-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast