Can I set and save cue points for Tracktor or VDJ?

Default Can I set and save cue points for Tracktor or VDJ?

I am a beginning Dj, and I talked to an experienced Dj who was Dj'n an event this weekend using Serato. He was dropping in songs right on time at all the right points etc. He told me he had set and saved all his cue points on all his songs. Is this possible using Tracktor or VDJ. I have both plus I use the Numark Mixdeck ? & PC (not a Mac). Please help!

Yes you can save cue points.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Yes you can save cue points.
    1. Which program can I save them in, Tracktor, VDJ or both?

2. What is the process for saving them? How do I do it?

In Traktor just hit a numbered cue button where you want the cue point. Not sure about VDJ I never bothered to use it.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

On the VDJ end you have a few options in regard to cue point mapping, and you have 99 that you can use.

hot_cue 1 this will set the numbered cue point if none is set, or jump to and start playing the track if one already exists.
    goto_cue 5 - this will jump to the numbered cue, if already playing the track will continue playing, or if paused the track will remain paused. If you don't number the cue it will jump to the last cue you used.
    set_cue 3 - this will simply drop a new cue

you can't use hotloops in vdj like you can in traktor, however you can use macro commands to pair a looping verb with a hot cue eg.
    "hot_cue 1 & loop 8"

One other thing VDJ is lacking is the ability to have a cue quantize to the beatgrid when you are setting it, I assume this will be changed in VDJ8 as djdecks had a fantastic ability to wait until the next beat, bar or phrase before carrying out an action. personally it doesn't bother me the way it is now as I always pause the track and get to position perfect, some people are incredibly lazy though so this may bother them. another quick thing you could do is a macro to set cues every 128 beats the jump back to the first cue, it will happen in a millisecond or two so you won't notice it.

goto_first_beat & set_cue 1 & goto_bar 32 & set_cue 2 & goto_bar 64 & set_cue 3 & goto_bar 92 & set_cue 4 & goto_bar 128 & set_cue 5 & goto_bar 160 & set_cue 6 & goto_cue 1

that should get it right 90% of the time on any modern dance music if you have the beatgrid set correctly

Another cool thing you can do in VDJ is name the cue points easily with mapping, I have included this ability in my new skin I'm working on. basically I made a popout menu that allows you to rename the cuepoint one of seven names that can be user set or you can choose "other" and a window will appear to type your own. You can also color the cuepoint button on the skin that will load anytime the track is loaded to a deck, and I have configured the timer to count up to each cue in beats... Aside from that everything is rgb so you can pick your color for everything individually by mapping some commands, or you can use an inbuilt menu to change the colors as you wish, just waiting to see what VDJ8 will bring before I finish it off and release it.

Last edited by synthet1c; 06-05-2012 at 01:20 AM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

If you have both programs, why haven't you read the manuals? Queue points are explained at depth in them, and are fairly large parts, and easily picked up.