basic questions on DJ'ing
    Tech Student

Default basic questions on DJ'ing

Hello friends can you please answers these questions i am a newbie and i am interested in DJ'ing(no chance of me becoming PRO Dj but i can very well disturb my neighbors and have fun )

->Beats are present in low frequency?am i right??then can you tell me frequency range?
    ->BPM means a count of beats per minute for a song then will the DJ software count it every minute since almost all songs are 3-7 minutes in length
    ->while beat matching does it matter(perfect match) if we try to match 130BPM song with 150BPM?or should i compulsorily try to change tempo of 130BPM song to 150BPM before matching???
    ->when i say change tempo of song while beat matching do we adjust pitch slider(+/-8 %).(tempo & pitch always confuses me )

Thanks for the help

Tech Student

can anyone help me please?

Quote Originally Posted by wenn32 View Post
    Hello friends can you please answers these questions i am a newbie and i am interested in DJ'ing(no chance of me becoming PRO Dj but i can very well disturb my neighbors and have fun )

->Beats are present in low frequency?am i right??then can you tell me frequency range?
    ->BPM means a count of beats per minute for a song then will the DJ software count it every minute since almost all songs are 3-7 minutes in length
    ->while beat matching does it matter(perfect match) if we try to match 130BPM song with 150BPM?or should i compulsorily try to change tempo of 130BPM song to 150BPM before matching???
    ->when i say change tempo of song while beat matching do we adjust pitch slider(+/-8 %).(tempo & pitch always confuses me )

Thanks for the help

OK so..

Beats are present in low frequency?am i right??then can you tell me frequency range?

Yes, beats are present in lower frequencies... Mainly >200 (your sub frequencies), however beats also come in claps+snares sometimes, and there is almost always reference to 'beat' in other frequencies of songs. Why does it matter where it is? You can normally hear / count it quite easily.

BPM means a count of beats per minute for a song then will the DJ software count it every minute since almost all songs are 3-7 minutes in length

Hahahaha no. Its called Beats Per Minute for a reading. Just like MPH, your not going to measure your speed by the amount of miles you drove on your 10 hour trip. So yes - It will give you a reading of 130 or similar.

while beat matching does it matter(perfect match) if we try to match 130BPM song with 150BPM?or should i compulsorily try to change tempo of 130BPM song to 150BPM before matching???

YES. Beatmatching is pretty important, and unless you want to do quick slams / fancy effect transitions i would probably fade out and fade in the other song or add delay to the original song and fade it out. Because slowing a hardstyle song (150bpm) down to 128 will generally sound terrible.

when i say change tempo of song while beat matching do we adjust pitch slider(+/-8 %).(tempo & pitch always confuses me

Tempo is the speed, Pitch is the actual tone that you hear. Although, in here they go hand in hand because unless you have keylock on in traktor, and you slow down the song, the pitch/tone will also go down. Visa Versa as well.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Student

First Thanks for answering my question.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkbro View Post
    OK so..

Beats are present in low frequency?am i right??then can you tell me frequency range?

Yes, beats are present in lower frequencies... Mainly >200 (your sub frequencies), however beats also come in claps+snares sometimes, and there is almost always reference to 'beat' in other frequencies of songs. Why does it matter where it is? You can normally hear / count it quite easily.
    did you mean < 200 (0-200hz) excluding claps+snares.i just want to know that's all.

BPM means a count of beats per minute for a song then will the DJ software count it every minute since almost all songs are 3-7 minutes in length.

Hahahaha no. Its called Beats Per Minute for a reading. Just like MPH, your not going to measure your speed by the amount of miles you drove on your 10 hour trip. So yes - It will give you a reading of 130 or similar.
    oh i feel embarrassed but i don't have anyone else to ask to. Anyway so you actually calculate BPM by taking a sample of the music then calculate right?? for example for 1 second if i get 2 beats then 1 minute = 60 seconds = 60*(2 beat/sec) = 120BPM right? that's it?so it doesn't matter if BPM changes while music progresses its just for reading? That MPH example was great in understanding this concept.

when i say change tempo of song while beat matching do we adjust pitch slider(+/-8 %).(tempo & pitch always confuses me

Tempo is the speed, Pitch is the actual tone that you hear. Although, in here they go hand in hand because unless you have keylock on in traktor, and you slow down the song, the pitch/tone will also go down. Visa Versa as well.
    yeah i saw picture of CDJ-850 it has TEMPO written on it instead of "pitch slider or pitch control".

Quote Originally Posted by wenn32 View Post
    oh i feel embarrassed but i don't have anyone else to ask to. Anyway so you actually calculate BPM by taking a sample of the music then calculate right?? for example for 1 second if i get 2 beats then 1 minute = 60 seconds = 60*(2 beat/sec) = 120BPM right? that's it?so it doesn't matter if BPM changes while music progresses its just for reading? That MPH example was great in understanding this concept.
    In theory, Yes, but not all songs are created equally. Some songs will change BPM in the course of the song- just like a speed limit will change.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________