Speaker System question?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Speaker System question?

I have a good laptop, a mixtrack pro, but as of right now cannot afford my own speakers (planning on saving up to build my own around 500 a piece give or take) are there any quick solutions to djing house parties that you'd suggest... i have looked into renting but id rather not spend money for gigs im drinking at for free and playing for around 50 to 100 dollars. Any ideas?

Tech Mentor

Rent, no other solution. It will also give you a good chance to try before you buy. Oh yea, unless you are really good with a saw, buy don't build.

i heard this thing on the radio about donating plasma and get 200 dollars for the first two weeks

Tech Mentor

I'd advise against building your own as well. There are alot of varibles when building a speaker cabinet. The choice of drivers generally dictates as to what size the the box and ports will need to be. Then you need to factor the material to build the box with, its thickness, internal bracing and last but not least a cross over network. With all the time and effort you put in it would be cheaper and you'll get a better result in buying something. Secondhand is another really good option. Just wait for the right boxes to come up and the right price.

Tech Mentor

pro tip ---- if you want to play out on your own rig. Invest some monies into it.. buying cheap will always lose you money in the long run.
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Guru

Fro $500 per cabinet, the RCF 312A is a good choice.

If you want to build, checkout http://billfitzmaurice.net/. The issue is that even an "entry level" system (e.g. two tops, two subs, amps, effects, PA management, cables, racks, etc) will cost about $2k to put together. The good news is that for that investment, you will get a system that would cost more than $2k to buy. The value of time spent in the woodshop will need to be included....at whatever exchange rate seems right to you. For reference, I have built 20 of these cabinets for my own use.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Wizard

it depends how much you know about pro audio. bill fitzmaurice's stuff isnt for beginners and will sound like garbage if you dont know what you're doing. it can sound great with proper crossovers, !delays! and a good open venue.

it also depends on what equipment you have now. you will need a signal-processor or cross-over, Amps (correct resistance and wattage), and cables just to get started. if you dont already own that stuff $500 on a cheap cabinent will be pointless.

answer those questions and we should be able to help you out.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djkidmt View Post
    it depends how much you know about pro audio. bill fitzmaurice's stuff isnt for beginners and will sound like garbage if you dont know what you're doing. it can sound great with proper crossovers, !delays! and a good open venue.
    True. AND...that is really true of ANY PA system. The forum at Bill's site is also a firehose of information about pro audio. If you can hang on long enough, you can actually learn what the !@#$% you are doing.

Knowing what I know now, I could have gotten a LOT better sound out of my last PA system.....or really any PA system that I happen to encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by djkidmt View Post
    it also depends on what equipment you have now. you will need a signal-processor or cross-over, Amps (correct resistance and wattage), and cables just to get started. if you dont already own that stuff $500 on a cheap cabinent will be pointless.
    +1

That is why I quoted $2k for a DIY "basic system" and listed all the parts you mention.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Dwonka27 View Post
    I have a good laptop, a mixtrack pro, but as of right now cannot afford my own speakers (planning on saving up to build my own around 500 a piece give or take) are there any quick solutions to djing house parties that you'd suggest... i have looked into renting but id rather not spend money for gigs im drinking at for free and playing for around 50 to 100 dollars. Any ideas?
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, quick solution to getting sound out of your laptop without speakers for a house party??????? Like asking how to get sound from an ipod with no headphones or speakers. When someone invents a way to get sound without speakers or headphones they will be very rich.

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, quick solution to getting sound out of your laptop without speakers for a house party??????? Like asking how to get sound from an ipod with no headphones or speakers. When someone invents a way to get sound without speakers or headphones they will be very rich.
    Well i was refering to some more along the lines of house speakers system or maby surround sound speakers etc. until i can afford a decent set up. thanks for the comments again.

Dwonka27

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast