First Club Gig... Any Tips?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default First Club Gig... Any Tips?

Hey guys! So let's get down to business...
    I have been a DJ for 3 years no All id did was House Parties, and a few private events for friends.
    Just recently I got booked for a Club Gig At Medusa Night club In Elgin, Illinois for the 16th of June. I am a Electro/House/Dirty Dutch DJ.
    So is there any tips you can give me for my first gig?
    Such as the Do's and Don'ts.. Maybe even a few tips on how to mix my songs to keep the energy flowing continually?

Thanks guys... Appreciate it!

There have been plenty of threads on this subject, and I'm sure there have been a lot of articles about it on the front page as well.

Check out digitaldjtips.com as well, they have had a number of articles on this as well

Congrats on getting the booking, man. Been to Medusa's a few times, I live in Naperville so it's not too far from me. Just basically do what you normally do, read the crowd, and have fun. You'll be a little nervous obviously, but once you get up there and start doing your thing, it'll go away. Just enjoy yourself. Also, do some searching around as there have been numerous prior DJTT articles and threads about this. Not sure what gear you use, but check and double check your DJ bag and make sure you have extras of whatever cables and things you may need. Goodluck!
    DJ Setup: Serato DJ/(2) Vestax V7/Ecler Nuo 2.0// Production Setup: Logic Pro 9/M-Audio i-Control/M-Audio Keystation Mini 32/NI Audio 2 DJ/13" 2.3GHz MBP 500GB HD OSX Lion/AIAIAI TMA-1/Roland TR-707//

1...make sure u open with levels or something similar...people love to be engaged on the dance floor with a banger right off the bat and it sets the tone of rest of the night...if this is your first real gig you NEED to be remembered so make sure YOU are the one playing the good songs not the other djs...theyve had there time its your time to start

2 you may think people are there to dance but there not...they are there to see YOU preform...bust out any scratch moves you can or bring along some beach balls to throw into the crowd...anything to make you stand out...some really good ideas are fx chains if your not good at scratching...beat masher is a great way to edit your tracks live...the audience notices the changes and could win over the crowd

3 show up a couple mins late and end your set a couple min early...it lets the club owners know that you mean business and are the one preforming...make sure they know you arnt there monkey or youll get screwed over!

Sounds advice from seitz

Rip it sick.

Just kidding. Just be yourself and play music you are comfortable playing. And bring 2 of every cable. If you can, try to stop by prior to the 16th and take a look at the booth so you know what your working with, how you will connect into the house system, etc. Good luck!

- Show up early so you don't feel rushed to setup.
    - Have a good idea on how you're going to swap setups with the DJ's before/after you.
    - If possible spend an evening at the club (same night of the week you're going to play), to get an idea of how the crowd is (especially around the time of your slot). If it's generally slow during the time you'll be playing, maybe plan on starting your set a little more laid back (while people are still getting lubed/inebriated) before jumping into the bangers.
    - As to not alienate some of the more mainstream heads in the crowd (common for club nights as opposed to underground events), maybe have a few 'familiar' tracks...Since you play Electro, maybe electro-ish remixes of a familiar track or familiar samples. Something to engage those people...then drop the face melting bangers...
    - HAVE FUN!
    SL1200 MK3D's, Kontrol Z2, Kontrol X1 MKII, Kontrol Z1, KRK Rokit 6's, MacBook Air, Midi Fighter 3D, Midi Fighter Pro, kazoo, gourd banjo.

NEW DEEP FUTURE BASS MIX
    Soundcloud|Mixcrate|Mixcloud|Facebook

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Infernity View Post
    So is there any tips you can give me for my first gig?
    - Show up early...aim for at least 30 minutes, but an hour is better.
    - Bring TWO of anything you have to have.
    - Make sure you can plug into their system. You need to have any required cables...don't assume that something in the booth when you look will still be there when you play.
    - Bring a pre-mixed CD (or iPod) in case you need it for the DJ swap.
    - Plan to play something other than just straight bangers. Not every song should be an "11".
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by seitz View Post
    worst advice ever
    Unless you are the headlining act, ignore everything this guy said.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Street Knowledge View Post
    Unless you are the headlining act, ignore everything this guy said.
    In interweb land, no one can hear you crack a joke...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast