Drum & Bass fans, check out a short interview with Dieselboy
    Tech Mentor

Default Drum & Bass fans, check out a short interview with Dieselboy

Ive been listening to DSL since 97 Octane. I love his opinions on dubstep and the state of dnb.

Check it out.

Tech Wizard

For as much as he bashes on ableton when I saw him perform I wasnt very impressed...
    \

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Byrd2593 View Post
    For as much as he bashes on ableton when I saw him perform I wasnt very impressed...
    \
    He def. has a point though. If you're going to be using Ableton, I don't want to see you sitting there with just your tracks warped together. Do something really creative with it...
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    He def. has a point though. If you're going to be using Ableton, I don't want to see you sitting there with just your tracks warped together. Do something really creative with it...
    personally i just want to hear good music mixed well regardless of the equipment or software. it's great if someone uses ableton and can get really creative with it, but that can certainly go too far as well, where sometimes a less is more approach could be better to most ears. really it's all so subjective, so it's definitely a matter of opinion.

i honestly don't care what equipment people use, or how simple their transitions are as long as they sound good. what does upset me a bit is all of the people who speak poorly about certain types of djs (ableton/traktor/cdj/whatever) when they aren't very good themselves (this isn't necessarily directed at dieselboy as i have never seen him live). from my experience it mostly comes from vinyl/cdj djs that don't really know what it actually takes to step into the digital realm of digital djing with the learning curve of the software, hardware, and preparation work that goes with attaining a semi-professional level.

at the end of the day for me, it's all about song selection and how it sounds...not what medium it originates from.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

I also was first exposed to DNB through Dieselboy back in 96 and I'm also a DNB fan who has no problem with Dubstep.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Don't like a lot of the Dubstep that Dieselboy plays and a lot of the drumstep he's been playing I don't like much either... mind you stuff like Human Resource or Dungeon Master's Guide is still awesome.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

i'm glad that more dnb djs are starting to at least mix in some drumstep and 1/2 tempo beats to break up the constant barrage of 175bpms. there's only so much fast tempo, level 11 sounds i can handle before i go a little nuts and get a headache. it was rare in the past to hear people incorporating half time beats since not many really had the punch of dnb. ming & fs come to mind as a duo who did well with that. that's the main reason i loved hive's devious methods album from way back. almost everything on there had half-tempo parts.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Its been a few years since I've seen him play but I always enjoyed the Planet of the Drums tours.

He raises some good points. I agree that the youngsters currently into dubstep/drumstep will eventually head into proper dnb. It has roots and branches that extend everywhere, its a core part of my youth and british culture. It definitely has the backbone to support a whole generation and even if they dont like it, it'll carry on regardless. I dont feel the same about dubstep/drumstep.

I also agree with his views on laptop djing. You should be using it to smash some next level shit out, not just mix two tunes together. The amount of people ive seen playing out on traktor and S4's that dont even grid their tracks, let alone beatmatch is disgusting and adds to the bad rep the old heads pass down.

He's right about setting the bar too. I dont think the audience knows the difference between a good and a bad dj. If anything I've seen more praise given to the DJ's who's blends are obvious and harsh just because the audience can hear the difference between two tunes.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog