Can't decide if I want Technics or a CDJ 900s
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Can't decide if I want Technics or a CDJ 900s

Currently I am using a mixtrack pro, but I can't decide what I want to get next :x

I'm going to need a mixer too :X

Opinions?

you can prob pick up a pair of 1200's off craigslist for cheaper as opposed to cdj's. i was faced with the same situation though and went turntables so i can play with vinyl and eventually go timecode.

that said its personal preference as to which you want to play

Tech Mentor

Do you have old vinyl you want to play? Are you willing (and do you want) to buy new vinyl - and do you play a genre where new vinyl even exists? Are you a scratch DJ?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, I'd say get the Technics. If you answered no to all of them, CDJs seems like a better bet.

I'm assuming that you actually have a use case for one or the other. You may not genuinely need either ...
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

You can get a pair of 1200mk2s and TS A6 (or a used SL1) for the price of one CDJ-900.
    For the price of the other CDJ-900 you could get a laptop that would easily run TS…you could almost get a 13" MBP.

And the same mixer either way (I like Vestax on a budget and Vestax or A&H not on a budget).

So…the question is whether you want to spin with CDs + USB keys or a DVS.

Tech Guru

I think this is kinda one of those decisions you have to make on your own. Gather up the facts, play w/ a 900 (if you havent already), and figure out what you want to do.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    You can get a pair of 1200mk2s and TS A6 (or a used SL1) for the price of one CDJ-900.
    For the price of the other CDJ-900 you could get a laptop that would easily run TS…you could almost get a 13" MBP.

And the same mixer either way (I like Vestax on a budget and Vestax or A&H not on a budget).

So…the question is whether you want to spin with CDs + USB keys or a DVS.
    I already have a MBP, I'd mostly like use Traktor Scratch with the technics. Blah this is hard, I kinda wanna learn how to scratch a bit. I wouldn't be playing with old vinyls

1200 + DVS cheaper and better.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Fressure View Post
    I already have a MBP, I'd mostly like use Traktor Scratch with the technics. Blah this is hard, I kinda wanna learn how to scratch a bit. I wouldn't be playing with old vinyls
    I looked around for almost two weeks and ended up driving 3 hours each way to get my M3Ds but I'm loving them sooo much. Only you can really decide about which way to go. That said, 1200s do hold their value very well so... even if you changed your mind later you could sell them and probably get most of your money back.

Personally I'm interested in learning everything so it seems to makes most sense to start at the beginning.

Tech Mentor

I kinda want a new controller also, maybe I'll sell the mixtrack and get an S4 :X and then who knows get the technics later (I really want white technics)
    Last edited by Fressure; 06-07-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fressure View Post
    I kinda want a new controller also, maybe I'll sell the mixtrack and get an S4 :X and then who knows get the technics later (I really want white technics)
    Could be a good step, you can actually connect the turntables with the S4 and use TSP, so you wouldn't even need to buy a mixer then.
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast