Home speakers system
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Home speakers system

Just wondering if any of you guys are rocking out on a home stereo system for your DJ rigs. I know most people go with studio monitors, but im looking to keep it accessible for a home theater system as well. Any advice for what I should keep in mind?

Also, I should add that I got a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers through a craigslist deal but haven't been able to find a decent receiver could handle the workload. Seems that most receivers are meant for about 30-45 watts of power, I was looking for something along the lines of 100w of power that could have an option of adding a subwoofer later on.

Any tips would be helpful.

Im as you, using my home entertainmentsystem for djing too.
    One reason is that i live in a small apartment, other one is that i spent lot of money on it.

I use a amplifier from the company NAD. If you want raw musical power, no bullshit i recommend you buy urself one.
    50 watts of NAD power equals to 100 watts of other brands amplifiers..
    I usually keep my listening level below 9' o clock and its more than enough to power my hard-driven bowers&wilkins speakers.
    My advice to you is to not stare blindly at watts of power.

i use an older Sony Reciever set up with a pair of Polk S6 speakers that i love. I have no problem with it. It's home listening and non production. No reason to break the bank.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

50 watts of NAD power equals to 100 watts of other brands amplifiers..
    Sorry mate but thats bull, 100watts is 100watts. Not saying bad, NAD are decent Company they are no more than midrange hifi amps at best and alot of cheap stuff inside (seen enough of them in for repair after being driven hard at a party).

@the OP how many ohms are the CV's ? and you DONT need a reciver (unless you want radio as well) .. just a power amp would do fine - of which there are thousands.

Tech Wizard

I use a Denon Av receiver hooked to a set of Paradigm Monitor 7's. That doubles as my home theater set up. I just run the receiver in stereo mode.

i just have my S4 hooked upto a technics hifi seperate amp which in turn runs 2 x sony hi-fi speakers, has inputs for 4 speakers on the amp but i find 2 is sufficient for in the room i am using it. If i had the money i would get some Rokits cos they look cool and no need for the amp so would free up some room but for the money they cost, unless i win the lotto of someone gives me some cash i got bettr things to spend that amount of money on lol...
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Sorry mate but thats bull, 100watts is 100watts. Not saying bad, NAD are decent Company they are no more than midrange hifi amps at best and alot of cheap stuff inside (seen enough of them in for repair after being driven hard at a party).

@the OP how many ohms are the CV's ? and you DONT need a reciver (unless you want radio as well) .. just a power amp would do fine - of which there are thousands.
    Yeah there is penty of budget nad amps which is worth The money thats why i recommend Them to The op.
    Well about The watts. Sure, But different powerhandling can make say à 2x80w 4 ohms can sound betten and louder without distortion Than a 2x500w shit amp. Sure you can go get classe, naim or other expensive amps But i doubt The digital djs on this forum want to spend 5000 euro+ for a amp

Whatever you do, don't use a separate channel home theatre system. I tried using a 5.1 home theatre system and found that there was some latency in the different channels compared to what I could hear in the phones. I assume it had something to do with the sub not being connected with the surround speakers, so I put them together and it still sounded off. I wouldn't recommend a home theatre system for Dj'ing or any kind of mastering. Probably a bad idea.

I bought these the other week and I'm quite impressed with them.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/159175...9|prd:15917539

They are nowhere near the loudest speakers in the world, but the bass is lovely and the highs are quite crisp. I use them as well as a set of KEF satellite speakers on an old Denon amp. The overall sound from it all is pretty good, considering it all cost less than £250 over 10 years.

Totally correct, unless you get the pioneer susano series multichannel receiver, it has a ok stereo mode. You allways get more for The money if u Buy stereo amp Than multichannel receiver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast