Does the latest version of Traktor allow you to scan sub-folders?

Default Does the latest version of Traktor allow you to scan sub-folders?

Right!

I am using Traktor 1.27 (By choice) and was wondering if the latest version of Traktor allows you to scan sub-folders.

I tend to keep certain styles of music in sub-folders by year, which 1.27 doesn't appear to be able to scan sub-folders in a primary folder.

Does the latest version of Traktor overcome this obstacle?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Clarify a little please. You can set as many folders you want to be imported on startup in settings and when using the file explorer you can open all of the folders.

I've only had one cup of coffee so sorry if I'm not understanding your question.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I think he means like when you search in a folder which has sub-folders, will files that are in the sub-folders show up in the search?

Fair enough!

The Main folder is the style of music. The Sub Folders are audio files that are organised by year. Can Traktor scan the Sub Folders using the Main Folder without manually entering the Main Folder and clicking on the Sub Folders individually to scan the audio files?

Tech Mentor

If you import folders with sub folders, Traktor will scan and analyze them into the collection. If you make a folder a playlist it will not recognize subfolders, it would only recognize files in the top folder. SO if you have the main folder that contains 10 track files and 3 subfolders that all contain files, Traktor would only recognize the 10 tracks in the main folder.

What you would need to do is make a folder in playlists, which you can do. That would be like the main folder and then all the subfolders would have to be created as playlists.

I have a similar set up like you do, Alot of my newer music is in folders by month and year. So I have the main folder as June 2012 and sub folders with different genres. Older music is kept by genre and then by artists or by decades like I have an 80s main folder and then subfolders like 80s pop, 80s rock etc.. This has always been my biggest problem when switching over to all digital, how to keep everything organized. I actually just use explorer in Traktor when searching for music which isn't the best way because when you open a folder that way, Traktor quickly scans the folder again, id the folder only has 20 tracks in it, its quick, but if you have a big folder it can take some time for it to scan and you have to wait for it to stop in order to sort it the way you want otherwise it will only sort as far as it has scanned so you won't have the entire folder sorted. The best way to do it right is the way I described above which can take a long time because you have to manually enter in all those subfolders as playlists which for me will take forever becasue I have folders within folders within folders and 55,000 tracks.

Oh dear.

The play list option sounds more time consuming since I don't use the play list and will need to delete each folder from the play list to prevent clutter. If I need an auto-play, I will use my old PCDJ RED 5.0 for it will auto play whatever is on the screen without the need of adding tracks to a play list.

It appears what I want is not possible with Traktor. I will just continue click on each folder manually, so Traktor can analyse the file(s).

Cheers!

Tech Mentor

Now Im really not sure exactly what you want to do. The set up would be the exact same thing as in explorer but you would have to have the main folder and then the subfolders would have to be playlists with the files. If you have folders with tracks and also sub folders in that folder then you're out of luck. You can't delete folders from anything because the files still have to exist on your hard drive. In order to auto play though you have to have a playlist set up. It is time consuming because you have to manually add all the sub folders. Again Traktor will always analyze the contents of subfolders when you add a main folder to the collection but if you right click on the folder and choose "import folder as playlist" it will only import the files in that folder, it won't add the sub folders. If your main folders doesn't have any files, just more folders then your playlist would be empty.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You can take the folder you want and drag it from your computer to the playlist in Traktor and it will create a new playlist. If there's subfolders in that folder it will have them all in one playlist. If you have something that changes you have to replicate that change in Traktor so you would need to add tracks individually.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    Now Im really not sure exactly what you want to do. The set up would be the exact same thing as in explorer but you would have to have the main folder and then the subfolders would have to be playlists with the files.
    I don't use play lists. I am very "old school" on how I mix so there is no need for me to use the play list unless I am running to the bathroom and require auto play.

If you have folders with tracks and also sub folders in that folder then you're out of luck. You can't delete folders from anything because the files still have to exist on your hard drive.
    That is exactly how I have it set up (shown in the photo I posted above) which is synonymous to walking in a venue with a lot of record crates and arranging them based on a style of music.

In order to auto play though you have to have a playlist set up. It is time consuming because you have to manually add all the sub folders. Again Traktor will always analyze the contents of subfolders when you add a main folder to the collection but if you right click on the folder and choose "import folder as playlist" it will only import the files in that folder, it won't add the sub folders. If your main folders doesn't have any files, just more folders then your playlist would be empty.
    There seems to be some type of confusion going on here. My question pertains to having a folder, which is labelled based on a style of music with sub-folders within the folder based on year when you click on your hard drive.

My set-up is having Traktor on Drive C while D, E, & F drives consist of music. Each Drive signifies a particular style of music based on the event I am catering for in which, I click on the D, E or, F drive to access the audio files.

If the Traktor computer were set up for the Internet access I would just post a screen shot. However, I disconnect Internet access on all my music computers through the bios.

As you mentioned Traktor cannot scan sub-folders within a folder under the given conditions unless I use the play list. This brings forth more clutter for the play list will not indicate what drive the songs are on and, lump all of the folders together in Alphabetical order.

It just seems odd such an option is not implemented for DAWs offer such a feature when you access your vst plug-ins.

Cheers!