windows to osx problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default windows to osx problems

hi guys... bit of a problem that im hoping someone here can help me with.

i'm running ableton 8.3 on my windows 7 laptop and my production partner is running 8.2.6 on his mbp. the problem i've got is when i collect and save, then zip my project file to send to him, he gets an error and live closes. it will not open the project at all.

he lives about 100 miles away and we only really get a few hours together face-to-face once a week.

any ideas??

all help appreciated.

brian.

Tech Mentor

tm my knowledge live projects are not easily backwards compatible so best thing to do is for him to upgrade to live 8.3 or you could downgrade to 8.2.6, ive tried in the past opening projects made in 8.1.4 on my system which at the time was still on 8.1 and it didnt like it

cool, ill tell him to upgrade and report back

Yeah pretty much have to upgrade. No so much a win to os x problem, but an older software version. I wish they could place an option like 'Save As...' in Live. Export to past versions, just remove sections that use updated features. Kind of like MS Word... BUT, DAW and a word processor... Hahaha!
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

cool guys thaks for the inputs, he's just updated now and i sent him a small file to try it out with and it worked, a bit disappointed in about this with ableton though, as when we were trying to find out what the issue was he sent me a file and the older file wouldnt even open on mine, but... hey ho, hopefully sorted now.

right , both of us are now on the same version, 8.3 and it still will not open when i send it over to him.

the original project was created in 8.2.2 before i upgraded and my project file opens fine, however when i send it, he just cannot open it.

surely if it was a problem with older versions it wouldnt open on mine either, thats what is confusing. i tried opening and saving as a new project but still nothing.

any ideas??

Does it give an error code when it fails? If so…have you tried googling the error code?

ok, sorted the problem, it was that osx uses AU and windows uses VST, all fixed now.. still a bit strange how it just completely crashed the program tho!! nevermind. cheers for the help peeps

You can use VSTs on OS X…as long as they're available.

hmm no idea then.... we both have exactly the same vsts???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast