From Controllers back to CDJs (or vice versa)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default From Controllers back to CDJs (or vice versa)

I do not at all intend this to be a troll post.

I'm interested to hear stories of people who have switched from controllers to CDJs or from CDJs to controllers and why. I'm personally on the fence about this and would just like to read the opinions of others. I'm not asking for a debate or Controller Vs. CDJ showdown, just personal story/opinion.

Let's keep this peaceful, please.

Thanks!

If CDJ-2000s were 1/3 the price I would switch back to them in a heartbeat. I just enjoy mixing on them more- nothing really wrong with controllers and sync I just don't feel the same satisfaction with it and timecode isn't the same.

I went cdj to controller and controller back to cdj.

First Cdj to controller. I wanted to try the new wave see what was up etc. Liked it thought, hmm really portable etc. Used it for about a year and it wasn't for me, ended up being too easy, too robotic for me. Plus traktor crashed a lot for me and I hated adjusting beat grids. So I went back to cdjs, but the only ones I would go to were 2000s or 900s cause I wanted link and USB.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    extensively discussed previously here:

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=40161

interesting topic though
    I did see that thread, and thought it was very interesting. I'm not putting one over the other, it's just good to read what others have experienced.

Tech Mentor

MIxing with cdjs was like riding a bike for me i went controller cdj controller now im back to cdjs simply because i feel at home whilst mixing on them i hate taking my laptop to gigs becacuse it is my production laptop id rather keep production and djing seperate

In order………

Vinyl -> Vinyl+DVS: wanted to save money…it worked.
    Vinyl+DVS -> Vinyl + CDJs: got sick of the computer
    Vinyl + CDJs -> CDJs: stopped buying vinyl.
    CDJs -> Controllers: wanted to play with Ableton…then Traktor.
    Controllers -> Vinyl + DVS: I got sick of computers and want to use them as little as possible while spinning. I'd use USB in a club if it were possible before the DVS.

Yeah I'm heading down the vinyl and DVS path from since ive been buying a lot of vinyl only releases. Sick of ripping them.

I'm kinda like mostapha, I got tired of having to walk a few feet and look at a list of tracks onscreen, and then either go all extendo-arm and select the next track with hardware, or hunch over the laptop that was placed next to the pile of hardware onstage. With a CDJ setup, everything I need, entirely, is right on the HUD of the decks.

As a side note, I still can't comprehend people who use HID with Serato/Traktor in anything but a hybrid setup. Unless you're just traveling with an SL box, it doesn't make any sense to arbitrarily stuff a laptop into your workflow, especially with the abomination that is Traktor's browser.

I went controllers -> CDJs -> vinyl -> Traktor DVS -> now.

Whenever i play now its serato vinyl DVS in the house or CDJs at clubs, S4 for bars, birthday parties and shit (friends and familly only, i hate them with a passion)
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast