LOOPs to clips-easiaer way of doing this? DJing with live
    Tech Wizard

Default LOOPs to clips-easiaer way of doing this? DJing with live

fisrt off new to ableton coming from traktor 2.1. my question is this:

Lets say im using live to dj and Load a full track into a clip. Once warped i set a 2 bar loop in the begining of the song intro(electronic 128 bpm0 so its basic 4 kick beat that im looping. What i want to do is take that loop and put it onto the clip located under the clip that the full song is on. Originally when forst messing around with ableton i was hoping i could do something like just clcik and hold the black loop bar and drag it to the clip i wanted that particular loop of the song to be assigned too. does that make sense?

Basically what im trying to do is just chop up songs into the pieces i want to use for djing and assign them to clips. im not 100% sure, being new to ableton that this is the best way of starting to dj or remix with live tho since im still kinda experimenting and learning. For example would it be best to keep the loops of the same song arranged vertically with each channel being a different song's loops OR make each channel INTRO's,, BREAKDOWN's, etc and work my way down that way.

Example

"channel 1" "channel 2"
    SONG ABC INTRO SONG 123 intro
    SONG ABC BREAKDOWN SONG 123 BREAKDOWN
    SONG ABC CHORUS SONG 123 CHORUS

OR

"channel 1 "channel 2" "channel 3"
    SONG ABC INTRO - SONG ABC BREAKDOWN - SONG ABC CHORUS
    SONG 123 INTRO - SONG 123 BREAKDOWN - SONG 123 CHORUS

I know it may come down to preference but is one of these options the best or one simply not a good way of setting up to dj for whatever reason? I don't mean to post 2 questions but the second part about setup shows what im trying to accomplish and the fastest way of doing it. i want to take a full song and take the pieces(loops) I want to use and assign them to clips in thew best way possible to mix with later.

Right now I just keep copying the full track and set the loop i want then crop until only the loop is left which doesn't seem like a bad way of doing it i was just wondering if theres a better way or a way to drag loops made in one clip to a new clip . sorry for the long post but i hate having to come back and re clarify and then wait for more responses.

thanks in advance for any input on how to start djing with Live.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You are doing it right....

Easiest way is to copy the same track multiple times in the same channel and set a start point (with or without loop on).. works kinda like a hot cue and you can trigger parts of a song and juggle the sections .. you can also use follow actions so when a loop finishes it triggers part B of the song.

To live sample - you can use blank channels and set the record input to a live channel

e.g.
    Channels 1-4 = live channels (with your tracks)
    Channels 5-8 = Blank channel for samples

Then you only need to hit the record circle on a blank clip to start recording the respective channel for as many bars as you want - can be handy sampling parts of a song you want to repeat later in a gig.

Hope that helps

Tech Wizard

Yea that answers my question, thank you. maybe a drag loop and drop to new clip will be added in 9. this will suffice tho, just wanted to make sure i was doing it right. thanks again

Tech Wizard

one more question for ya on this topic. Is there any benefit to cropping the sample when you copy the track to the new clip or do you leave it as a full track with just the loop enabled? I wasnt sure if copying tracks this way would lead to more cpu usage or memory usage. Or if there is a reason you've found one way or the other for leaving the track uncropped and looping rather than cropping each segment.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by mmullen68 View Post
    one more question for ya on this topic. Is there any benefit to cropping the sample when you copy the track to the new clip or do you leave it as a full track with just the loop enabled? I wasnt sure if copying tracks this way would lead to more cpu usage or memory usage. Or if there is a reason you've found one way or the other for leaving the track uncropped and looping rather than cropping each segment.
    The entire track is loaded into cache anyhow so should not make one bit of difference, I dont crop my tracks just set start point and punch in/out loops on fly per track as needed rather than presetting them.

e.g.

Part 1 start @ bar 1 (intro)
    part 2 start @ bar 32 (drop)
    part 3 start @ bar 128 (outro)

depending on the track I might let it run or decide to loop a point on the fly rather than let a segment play out... but I prefer having everything set to play out to begin with.

Hope that helps..