Slightly disappointing news about Traktor Remix Decks
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Slightly disappointing news about Traktor Remix Decks

hey

was just looking at the official NI forums and they have launched the latest round of "On The Record".

On the one hand I was slightly chuffed that the answered my question and while the feature I was looking for isnt there just now they're planning to implement it.

However some very disappointing news about remix decks. Most of us have had visions of programming MIDI fighters, Machine controllers or APC 40's to be able to trigger all of the 16 samples available to each deck. Or at least programming the two rows of buttons above the platter on a VCI-400 to be able to at least play 8 a side.

However this isn't possible Much like high definition jog wheels, the controls for these use some special NI only programming that (either technically or by choice to sell more F1's) isn't available to the normal MIDI mapping system. If you have any controller that isn't an F1, you only have access to the top row of samples, giving you pretty much the exact functionality you get with the 4 sample decks we have already.

While you can understand it from a business/marketing perspective, not great news for all of us who don't really wanna invest in or carry about a whole extra pile of gear and like to try and do everything from a compact set up.

k

ass... i always figured that being able to map different coloured led feedback may or may not be possible for the remix decks via midi but naively assumed that we'd at least be able to trigger samples the same way as the F1.

we'll still be able to scroll thru the different rows of samples or we will literally only have with remix decks what we have at the moment with sample slots?

guess i haven't wasted my experimenting with ableton live the last few days then
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmcdonough View Post
    either technically or by choice to sell more F1's
    don't see how midi would be the limiting factor here - ofc it have meant a lot of controls to map for a midi device - but i think it's clear that they just want to sell more F1's

this actually makes me want an F1 less and think more seriously about just using ableton or VDJ or how good "the one" may be as i don't want to get tied into any software+hardware combination.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Mentor

When they anounced that Traktor 2.5 was going to be a free upgrade I knew they were going to lock down the Remix Decks somehow. Oh well, I'll start putting my pennies away.

Not surprising, they have been locking down traktor to the hardware more any more.

So does mean we won't be able to use the k2 for the remix decks?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyQuiet View Post
    So does mean we won't be able to use the k2 for the remix decks?
    sounds that way... or at least can only be mapped to them the way u can atm for sample slots. i.e: one row at a time - so no need for more than one row of buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Gooch View Post
    When they anounced that Traktor 2.5 was going to be a free upgrade I knew they were going to lock down the Remix Decks somehow. Oh well, I'll start putting my pennies away.
    i guess it being a free upgrade should have been the clue - i didn't twig

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    ass... i always figured that being able to map different coloured led feedback may or may not be possible for the remix decks via midi but naively assumed that we'd at least be able to trigger samples the same way as the F1.

we'll still be able to scroll thru the different rows of samples or we will literally only have with remix decks what we have at the moment with sample slots?

guess i haven't wasted my experimenting with ableton live the last few days then
    Yeah I was the same, assumed the multi-coloured LED feedback would be out but that triggering all the samples would be fine.

Yeah they've said that there will be an ability to be able move down the slot. They mentioned clicking with the mouse (and they mentioned a button combination on an S4 not sure if that'll translate to other controllers) and being able to move the "focus" of that particular sample deck from sample 1 to 2 within that column or whatever, which I suppose saves a little bit of loading. But only one of the samples being triggered or playing within any one sample slot so only 4 at a time on either side of the mixer, just exactly as we have now with the current sample slots.

k
    Last edited by kevinmcdonough; 04-24-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmcdonough View Post
    Yeah I was the same, assumed the multi-coloured LED feedback would be out but that triggering all the samples would be fine.

Yeah they've said that there will be an ability to be able move down the slot. They mentioned clicking with the mouse (and they mentioned a button combination on an S4 not sure if that'll translate to other controllers) and being able to move the "focus" of that particular sample deck from sample 1 to 2 within that column or whatever, which I suppose saves a little bit of loading. But only one of the samples being triggered or playing within any one sample slot so only 4 at a time on either side of the mixer, just exactly as we have now with the current sample slots.

k
    it's a far cry from being able to have different buttons mapped to each sample slot i guess and trigger them ableton-tyle. there again... if it's possible to stack controls to "move sample slot X to row Y" and also "play sample slot X" then we'd still be able to get more functionality than with the current sample decks. in fact *if* we can do that then we'd basically be able to do what we expected?

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast