Any VJ dabblers here?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any VJ dabblers here?

Any of you guys on here mess around with VJ'ing? I am starting to play around with it using Resolume and my launchpad during my sets and its pretty damn fun. A video I watched is what made me realize the remarkable potential of this form of media, and I'm a huge believer in the visual aspect of the performance helps draw the crowd deeper into the music. I plan on eventually working up to 3D Mapping...but it shall be awhile. Any of you guys messing around with VJ'ing?

If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Just started to, cool software

Sweet man, yeah I want to get to that point one day. Im just starting doing it myself

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I used to do it in clubs and events, but wouldn't attempt DJ at the same time - my feeling on it is that either music or visuals is going to suffer unless you are dual mapping the controllers.

Personally I'd always bring in someone else that I know has a keen eye/ear to run that aspect if I was playing rather than need to keep an eye on the screens.

I've only ever seen ONE dj doing it right with the Pioneer SVM-1000 mixer, and thats Sander Kleinenberg, Well worth a watch ...

That mixer was WAYYYYYY ahead of its time, just too expensive for most clubs and the majority of DJ's are not any good at visuals or just (in MANY cases) too stupid to be able to learn any more than where the flanger is on the mixer ($7000 currently for the SVM)

BTW I believe Sander has a team creating the actual visuals themselves - while he mixes them up live.

IF i had the cash to splurge on that mixer I might well have got into doing Visual Shows again.
    Last edited by deevey; 06-12-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Tech Convert

resolume keyboard.jpg
    I saw your message and i thought i'd might share this with you. Since you can map keys and combinations of keys of your keyboard to trigger clips, rows, fx, and other stuff i've made my own 1 euro resolume-controller. Top-left there's a bpm tap and on the right there's a resync. If you're vj-ing on a dj-set that fluctuates in tempo and you're not connected to ethernet-midi (that's another story...) this is very handy. Just tap on the beat 4 times and resolume bpm starts to roll in the same tempo of the music. press resync to get it to start on the first beat again. Numbers 1 to 12 correspond with the first 12 rows of 3 decks, pressing them will trigger a row of 3 clips. Since you can make combinations of keypresses, there is also a ctrl/1-12, a shift/1-12, a cmd/1-12, and a alt/1-12. this way you can trigger 60 rows of 3 clips, that's 180 clips in total! Below the numbers you see the 3 decks, the first 3 keys represent 3 masks, for best results i'd recommend to set it to 50%. With the next 6 you can trigger 6 deck's fx, this requires some work since you're using the dashboard macro's but once you've done it you won't be needing your mouse anymore! Finally, there's a solo (S) and a mute (X) key for each of the 3 decks and a key that's mapped to the realtime rendering record/stop button.
    I hope it's not to much information at once, but working with the 1 euro controller is so much fun!

Next level is, as you've said, 3d mapping and for instance integrating ethernet midi from a ableton liveset or slaving mixemergency (also a very cool vj-program) trough python in resolume. Endless possibilities

greetings, patrick

that mixer looks insanely amazing, I wish i could sell my truck and get one! lol but yeah I've just recently started workin with it to see if it will work in my sets, but I work with a VJ who does all the lights and stuff with me on stage so I wouldn't have the whole load on me. I really just want to eventually have a 3D projected booth while he does the light work. Geeze really wanting that mixer now though haha. But Porter Robinson used to do alot of his own VJ work from a seperate mac, but he has moved up since then i guess. And wow dude great keyboard macro setup! You enjoy using it? id love to see some video

The next time one of those "I need a DJ name" threads crops up I insist that V.J. Dabblers is recommended.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

I agree. lol

Tech Guru

I have thought about this, a previous duo project was going to incorporate visuals and live video etc...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Its super fun to mess around with and it can help express the right vibes at the right times. And Resolume is so awesome for giving their product away for free to people who want to try it and get used to it before they spend $400 on it (it will have Resolume stamped on all visuals and have robot voice lol)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast