Advice needed! apcs, f1s, and remix decks - oh my!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Advice needed! apcs, f1s, and remix decks - oh my!

I have an APC40 I purchased from Guitar Center a few months ago. I received an s4 shortly thereafter as a gift so the APC40 has seen VERY little use.
    I really REALLY want to get proper functionality out of the remix decks. My question is this: Would it be better for me to try and trade the APC40 in to get an F1? Would i ever be able to get decent functionality out of the remix decks on the APC40? Sure, its got a load of buttons and faders - but NI is far from giving us the ability to map it out proper.

Thoughts, input?
    Thank you!

Tech Mentor

Currently you need an F1, or some technical expertise, to use the Remix Decks.

Tech Wizard

I'm aware ;-/
    I just wonder whether i could squeeze more functionality out of the APC40 than i could the f1 once the remix deck mappings become available

Tech Mentor

So what is the question then?

Are you willing to wait for the Decks to be unlocked? Keep the APC then.

If not, get the F1.

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    So what is the question then?

Are you willing to wait for the Decks to be unlocked? Keep the APC then.

If not, get the F1.
    believe but ni are not going to "unlock" the remix decks. maybe in 5 years...
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Mentor

Why? They keep them locked to the F1 for a couple of months, making sure enough units are sold. Afterwards, unlocking them would make Traktor as a whole a more attractive platform, (indirectly) increasing revenue once more.

They did the same with the sample decks and the S4. Doesn't seem very unlikely to me.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would get the F1.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    I read somewhere (the latest on the record I believe) that they claimed that in future updates they will open the functionality up to MIDI controllers. But they tied that feature to redoing the MIDI setup dialog, so who knows when that would happen. [As an aside the MIDI setup dialog is in desperate need of an update.]

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    I'm not going to say that it's never going to happen, but I went the F1 route myself

APC40 is nice, i got a apc20 that i used to use with traktor but i havent even thought of mapping that to the remix decks because its big, bulky and needs to be plugged into power.

If it were me i'd trade it in and get a pair of F1's. These things are freaking genius... and i know people are hacking it to work with other units but the f1 for me is ideal. Size is great, its got great led action, and ive even mapped the midi page on it to work with its corresponding track deck (so the left one controls deck 1&3 and the right one can control 2&4). The price is also good for me, I spin on a regular basis, the F1's have paid themselves off already.

Those are the reasons for me getting it, not the reasons for you to get em. You need to evaluate your situation, see if you can put that apc to use, if not weigh the options of having an f1 or pair of f1s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast