hi res
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hi res

Default hi res

So I'm looking for some info on how traktor interprets "high resolution" controller messages.

First, what protocol do controllers use? ISsit all/mostly HiD, or is there more diversity than that?

Is Traktor at all capable of using these messages, or does it just convert them to midi values?

What if you put a S4 in midi mode? Does it still read the hi-resolution inputs, or does it only send midi?

What about the upcoming behringer CMD PL-1? It will include a high-resolution pitch fader and jogwheel. Will traktor be able to take advantage of these?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

They use HID (they call it NHL), when NI controllers are used in MIDI mode they send regular resolution messages.

Tech Guru

They use HID (they call it NHL), when NI controllers are used in MIDI mode they send regular resolution messages.
    Which can still be high resolution by ANYONE's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Jep! One should keep in mind that lots of controllers are ONLY capable of sending Midi.

+1
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Traktor supports 14bit MIDI command messages, which are of close enough resolution to HID for pretty much all DJ'ing purposes.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by StephanV View Post
    Traktor supports 14bit MIDI command messages, which are of close enough resolution to HID for pretty much all DJ'ing purposes.
    For a platter, this isn't necessarily true. Actually, it isn't even true for all fader messages. A 14bit message is TOTAL OVERKILL for a pitch fader, even if it's 100mm long.

DJ controller platters normally use a 7bit relative CC message, and manage what we would consider "high resolution" messaging.

so will traktor support the PL-1's HD platter and fader?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I'm not saying regular MIDI is bad for common usage, just not the best for pitch faders and jogs. If you sync it won't make a difference if it's MIDI, 14bit MIDI, HID, OCS or whatever name they put on the next fancy protocol.
    Last edited by padi_04; 06-13-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Tech Mentor

For a platter, this isn't necessarily true. Actually, it isn't even true for all fader messages. A 14bit message is TOTAL OVERKILL for a pitch fader, even if it's 100mm long.

DJ controller platters normally use a 7bit relative CC message, and manage what we would consider "high resolution" messaging.
    I'm sorry but it seems to me like you don't really know what you're talking about.

Let's make a quick calculation here. Say your pitch fader has a resolution of 7 bit. This means that it has a number of 2^7=128 different possible states. Because faders and encoders use absolute positions, this means a total of 128 different tempo states. I like to have a pitch range of +/- 20%, but let's assume a range of +/- 10% - for the sake of feasibility.
    Say our tune is of 128 BPM. 10% up gives an increment of 12,8BPM, 10% down a decrease of 12,8BPM, resulting in a total range of 25,6BPM. With a 7 bit fader, this means that the minimum increment/decrease you can achieve is 25,6/128 = 0,2BPM.
    I don't know about you, but I don't call that an accurate means of tempo adjustment, and this is even assuming a rather smallish tempo range. And for the record, the length of your pitch fader does not change these calculations - nor application in real life - by one bit.

14 bit really has its use for certain components such as pitch faders, there's absolutely no doubt about that.

And 7 bit is by absolutely no means "high resolution" messaging. It's an as oldskool resolution as MIDI gets. Literally. The original MIDI protocol (from back in the early 80's) already used 7 bits command messages.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast