OT: SAE (School of Audio Engineering)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: SAE (School of Audio Engineering)

definitely OT, but i think you guys might be able to give me some good advice on this topic. i'm thinking of going to this school in the fall (sae.edu), i think it would be awesome as a basis for production, but also good experience for djing as well, as i would be working hands on with pro software and hardware, as well as learning fundamental knowledge about all things audio. the main questions i have are:

1. how much will this prepare me for work in the audio engineering field? (what is it missing, if anything, and how will employers see this degree/certifications?)

2. are there various positions that i'd be suited for with this type of degree?

any help is greatly appreciated.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

i went to the sae ages ago, when they only had a school in australia and one in berlin...it was a good experience and i had the ability to use equipment that i wouldn´t have touched, if i haven´t been in that place. doing a mixdown on a neve console is an expieience i wouldn´t like to miss..even if i might never have the chance to do it again...you can learn a lot at the sae schools, even more since they blew up all over the world and now offering all kinds of stuff they can teach you. dunno about the being employed after the sae but usually it´s about connections in the studio biz and mostly you will start with cooking coffee for the engineer...with a sae degree you might be better prepared for the moment when you get your chance...!
    Last edited by compact; 05-28-2009 at 05:20 AM.

that's awesome! i'm pretty pumped at checking out their gear at the school in atl. the pictures of their studios is nuts.

but i guess my question is, what did you do with it (if anything)?

after the sae i joined the music biz for years..not actually in the studio but more in the marketing and distribution department. i have been dj´ing and collecting records for several years and also started producing my own beats and music...until this day!

i´ve had lots of fun with music in my life

&

i´m quite happy with my choice..!
    Last edited by compact; 05-28-2009 at 05:27 AM.

thanks for all the feedback, and i'm glad everything worked out for you! i think i'll be attending this fall for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    i'm thinking of going to this school in the fall (sae.edu),
    Which career are you gonna choose ?

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    that's awesome! i'm pretty pumped at checking out their gear at the school in atl. the pictures of their studios is nuts
    I don't know how it's gonna be in atl. but the one in Paris & Barcelona have a lot of great gear too... You can see them on the pics of the schools, they even show it to you the first day of classes, but after that you don't use them as much as you want or even could...
    The Neve for example, you're gonna do one project on it, and just this project at the end of all... you can't even enter in the room

Maybe not very important, but good to know about that imo...

i think if my career has anything to do with music i'll be pretty happy honestly.

yeah i didn't really expect to be on the gear every day, but i think even that one chance to get that experience would be really awesome

I dont know if your completely sold on the idea of staying in ATL, but there is a school in Orlando that blows SAE out of the water in my opinion. Check out Full Sail.

http://www.fullsail.edu/

That place is simply amazing. Quite expensive and very intensive(your class/lab schedule changes every week), and the school is open 24/7. So you could have classes at 2am sometimes. Very hard to keep a normal job and attend, but walking out of there, you will no doubt be focused and trained in all the latest fads and gear. Plus you get a background in all areas of the entertainment industry, not just recording arts.

My brother went there and is now making 6 figures doing what he loves.

not set on staying in ATL, and i have heard of full sail, but yeah, it's mad stacks. that is pretty sweet though, although they don't even allow you to have a job while you're in the school, so that + the price kind of sucks. but damn i might just have to start saving.. :P

Default sae

at first i was'nt going to respond to this thread but then i thought i have some real world knowledge to offer so here goes. sae is a great school but look at all of your options first. if you truly want to learn about the recording and enginering fields sae will give you all the tools and knowledge,. but so can some other places that may be less expensive. consideer an actual college. here in nashville we have several schools that offer recording enginering programs along with business and music degrees. be aware though that having that degree or certificate doesn't gurantee a job in this business it is pretty competitive and sometimes it is being in the right place at the right time. my best friend here in nashville is an sae grad. he is a bada$$ dj, producer , engineer. when i need advice about music or sound production he's the guy i go to. i was at one point thinking of going to school at sae,my friend advised me to wait and gave me some books to read one being Modern recording techniques 5th edition by david miles huber(used by sae as a text book) along with reading publications like tape op,mix and electronic musician.in a fairly quick amount of time i learned quite a bit. what sae and these schools offer that a book can't is the chance to put your knowledge to use on real industry standard equipment. just weigh your options and talk to some people and good luck with whatever your choice may be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast