Inspiration for Mini dj/Worksation
    Tech Wizard

Default Inspiration for Mini dj/Worksation

Hey guys, hoping to source some inspiration on an attractive and functional setup - im moving to a new apartment and will need to station my comp and Traktor S4 in the living room - I will have about a 4 1/2 foot (1.37m) wide area to work with that is also in the corner. in addition i have about 3 - 4 feet of depth to work with

My gear:
    1 pc tower (keyboard and mouse) - also used as a personal computer
    2 24" lcd monitors (mountable)
    traktor S4
    2 krk rokit 8's

I've been contemplating mounting the 2 monitors above a mini workstation (3 foot wide footprint) and have the traktor on the top and keyboard in the slide out

hoping anyone can suggest something clever to have a nice little setup - i've been looking through the setup forum and found a few ideas - my problem is where to the speakers go? is it a good idea to place the speakers sideways on the table? would the vibrations mess with the table and PC?

also my budget is around $250 usd or less

Keep the speakers upright. They are designed that way. Check out the ikea DJ desk. Posts for the speakers, and you can build it for roughly the same as your budget. Aaaand it holds records!
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for responding.. I like the ikea dj desk however a little to wide for my corner... I've gotten a few ideas from ikeahacks and may use a combo of comp desk, monitor mounts and speaker shelves or stands ... Will be sure to post the end result if it doesn't look like shit

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by nikegeo View Post
    Thanks for responding.. I like the ikea dj desk however a little to wide for my corner... I've gotten a few ideas from ikeahacks and may use a combo of comp desk, monitor mounts and speaker shelves or stands ... Will be sure to post the end result if it doesn't look like shit
    I have a similar problem my good man! I've found that a little simple shelf goes a long way towards this. Currently I have my screen set up on top of it and my two monitors on either side, right at ear level so that I get that sweet spot of the mix. I have my MBP docked underneath the shelf (you'd put the PC on the floor I suppose) and then put the S4 on the desk with a pull-out keyboard tray. Perhaps? I've found in limited places (such as a crappy college-level apartment) the best way to make space is to build up, not out.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Wizard

totally agree with you DJ Sunshine - width is my main constraint and im either going to place the speakers above the monitors on a shelf or somehow squeeze everything on one table (ikea micke possibly and extend a shelf for the speaker on either side)...
    but i've gotten a few good ideas from the show your setup as well as other sources on web - thanks guys - will post soon