Thinking of upgrading my MacBook Pro with an SSD and RAM. Need some advice!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking of upgrading my MacBook Pro with an SSD and RAM. Need some advice!

As title says. Im after an SSD and possibly 8GB RAM to give my Mid 2009 15" a boost. I am not fully sure what SSD's I should be looking at, all I know is it needs to be around 250Gb or higher. I have been reading that some SSD's are faster than others, some degrade over time etc etc. basically, any info on which ones are best would be ideal.

Regarding RAM, I want 8GB of 1067 MHz DDR3. I have read a few people talking about kernel panics when changing RAM? I don't know what a kernel panic is but it doesn't sound healthy. Any recommendations?

Cheers!
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

RAM: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...o/Upgrade/DDR3

SSD for 6Gbit SATA: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/
    SSD for 3Gbit SATA: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/inter...3G_Solid_State

They're some of the fastest available and do not degrade over time (I've been using a 120GB Extreme 6G for > a year).

I'm not sure whether your MBP has 6Gbit or 3Gbit SATA…but you can find out in System Information.

OWC's stuff is awesome. Shipping is fast. Prices are good. And they make videos of how to install most stuff.
    Last edited by mostapha; 06-14-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Excellent mate! just what I was looking for.
    Just found Serial-ATA link speed - 3Gbit in system info, so assume id have to get the 3Gbit one. Ill just have to find a UK site now, cheers dude.

You don't HAVE to, I don't think. I'm pretty sure the 6g drives can be used on a 3G bus. But I could be wrong.

And I think OWC ships internationally. Don't know about import regulations/taxes, but they don't use distributors afaik.

OCZ SSDs are good alternatives to the OWC/Mercury drives. I think the Vertex 3 is about comparable to the 6G version, so check out their line. They're also some of the fastest and use the right controllers so they don't slow down like a lot of SSDs do.

I am thinking of doing the same. I have a bare bone 08 MB, which hasn't given me any problems with traktor, thank god. Would there be any other real advantages of doing an additional SSD (sacrifice CD slot) and more RAM, other then added speed and stability (which I would do it for anyway)?
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Regarding RAM, I want 8GB of 1067 MHz DDR3
    That might be hard to come by ... try 1066 Mhz instead

However 1333 Mhz is reported to work fine in alot of 2009 MBP's (actually thinking of getting some for myself).

And would recommend using existing hard drive space for the SSD and get a caddy in place of the CD drive and use the existing HDD for plain ol storage, I did it a while back and don't regret it at all.

Of only course IF you don't need the CD drive.

Tech Mentor

A SATA6 drive will work on a SATA3 bus, but it's like buying a USB3 external hard drive when all you have is USB2. It's just money right down the bin, unless you're planning to upgrade to a SATA6 laptop soon.

Quite the same is true for memory. You could buy units of 1333MhZ, but they will be scaled down to 1066MhZ, again, paying more for nothing (although the price difference here is much smaller).

Either way, these are very smart investments!
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Guru

Maybe get the 6g anyway, you can reuse it if you upgrade in the future and (I don't think) you'll have any problems.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You could buy units of 1333MhZ, but they will be scaled down to 1066MhZ,
    Not always the case, if it works - it works, but some peeps have had issues with it in macbook pro's not booting/kernal panics etc with 1333 .. I'm only thinking of getting it as I can try-before-i-buy and 1066 is pretty impossible to get round these parts these days.

I ended up getting a 240GB OWC 3GB mercury electra SSD. The first one OWC sent me was faulty, wouldn't wake from sleep, flashing question marks on start up etc. Sent it back and received a brand new one that works like a charm. The MacBook is now flying, best upgrade I have ever done, I recommend anyone thinking of upgrading there mac, try an SSD. Start up time is silly fast, same with shut down, and programs open instantly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast