Dj software
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dj software

Default Dj software

Hi everyone i'm Swindla , first time poster!
    I just wanted to ask for some advice on dj software available . About 5 month ago i quit my residency at my local dnb night becayse everyone were on cdj and i were still on 1210's and cant afford to keep up buying new vinyl anyway blah blah i have now upgraded and love my cdj and want to push my skills even further by getting some software creating sick loops and such because i will be back on again soon and i also just want to keep up with the latest tech , i get alot of praise for my sets but want to stand out even more can anyone give me the lowdown on the different brands so i can get a better understandibg of what would suit my style . I don't want to rush out and buy anything before i do a bit of research and get some opinions .
    Swindla

If you're using CDJ's, I'd recommend using Ableton Live to create your own edits/remixes. Burn 'em to CD, and mix 'em as usual.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

And i could just stick them on a usb stick too?

Absolutely.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

If you want to actually DJ in the software, look into Traktor or Serato. Ableton is great but there is a big learning curve if you are planning to DJ in it; expect a completely different workflow than you're used to as a DJ. Whereas with Traktor and Serato type programs, the workflow is designed around DJing, so it will be more familiar. But if you're just looking for software to remix songs and then you want to continue performing live with CDJs (without a computer), then yeah Ableton is your best bet.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Also, if you haven't, look into Rekordbox to help with setting up loops and cues for your CDJs. It's free from Pioneer if you go to their site.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Mentor

I use Ableton Live for production and Traktor to DJ.

honestly sounds to me like you want Rekordbox mate, though that will limit you if you ever come across a set of CDJ1000s in a club. I'd maybe consider getting something like Traktor, or Ableton, to blast loops from, and run it out of a soundcard into a 3rd/4th channel?

that is, of course, assuming that you want to keep using CDJ's. if you're a vinyl guy at heart then you could always use timecode with Traktor or Serato, or use the CDJ's with timecode, or use HID to get direct control over the CDJ's with software.

I know the amount of options can seem pretty daunting but you have to ask yourself what you want to do with the software, and they sort of narrow themselves down.

Do you want that vinyl feel again or to use CDJ's.

Do you still want to use CD's or do it all within the software?

How complex looping do you want (ie do you want Ableton-style where you can build beats etc on the fly)?

In the clubs you're likely to be booked at, what models of CDJ's are they (are they Rekordbox compatible, I assume they are as you say you use USB sticks)

Theres so many options for so many work flows but if you tell us a rough idea of what you want from the software, what you plan to do and how the workflow is in your head, and we can narrow it down for you

Welcome to the forums BTW!
    Last edited by PeteWoods; 06-14-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: more info

i think traktor pro is the best

Yeah thanks , i use rekordbox they came with my decks but you cannot add effects i like the quantizethough .
    Last night i downloaded a month trial of ableton and it does look quite difficult but i will download a manual and watch plenty of tutorials and yeah at some point i will be hooking my 1210's up too .
    I just need to make a little more space 1st

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast