Question on beat repeat when Djing in Live
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Question on beat repeat when Djing in Live

I thought i heard this on a youtube vid or forum but cant find the source again. it was talking about beat repeat and i was wondering if there is a way to sort of stop or freez the track when enabling beat repeat and then having it the track continue from the point the effect was enabled when the effect is released, like a stutter . In traktor I would enable beatmasher(fully wet) and hit an open cue point on the fly simutaneously and then release the beatmasher while hitting the cue point to bring the track back to where it was.The only reason Im asking is because i thought i heard someone mention that it could be done in ableton on the fly without having to launch a clip to get back to the spot where the beat repeat was enabled.

If I understand you right, you want to turn on beat repeat, have it do the effect, then start again from the moment you applied the effect-like on a CDJ1000 when you take the loop back to the start to stutter it?

As far as I know, this isn't possible. What you could do is loop it, apply the effect, then release the loop when you're done with effect.

Another way to get that particular stutter effect would be to loop, then reduce the size of the loop, just like you would with the CDJ 1000.

There maybe a VST that could do this also.

There may also be a M4L device that can do this for you, but I am not well versed in that so couldn't comment.

For a definetive answer, try ALDJ forums, as it's populated by Ableton DJ's and artists, that have been using the s/w for years.

I hope that was helpful

Tech Wizard

thanks guys , will peep that site too. makes sense what you said gordonstrange, thinking about it i could set it up that wayu using a new clip. was used to the encoders on my s2 and using loop on the fly that way but seems like it may be one of the plus's of traktor in this particular situation, no biggie just requires some extra prep with comes with the territory of Live it looks like.

What version of Abes are you using mate? This beat repeat effect is similar to what I've heard traktor produce http://www.mediafire.com/?qq7wnlj17q82xhw it's for 7

This sounds like something that could be done with one of S4racens looping devices. Look him up - if you're DJ'ing with Live and NOT using any of his devices, you are missing a big trick.

I'm never sure why people ask for this, actually. To me, the point of a stutter/BR, is to create a build up to a drop or a break. If you are stuttering, then resuming, you're creating an artificial build up to nothing?

I hate it when DJ's trick me into thinking there is a drop/breakdown coming and then disapoint by going back into the verse!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Ha! yeah it ruins the flow, and the energy.

Wouldn't S4racens devices require M4L though mate?

And how about the supalupa? would that get an approximate effect?

Tech Wizard

I got the beat repeat set up pretty well and enjoyed using it this morning. i will def look that up today, thanks for the info. i do have m4l too if needed for any of his patches. I get what your saying about beat repeat/stuttering and was more in process of seeing what its potential was with the different configs but i wouldnt agree 100% that it can only be used for drops and buildups. the way i described can be useful, especially with the added controls compared to traktors 3 for its beat masher. for example i had it sounding great on a vocal this morning and sometimes just to create different drum patterns within a loop. the variation and Chance i are useful as well to break up a 4/4 beat. I guess if you were just stuttering fully wet and non stop on and off and never leading to a drop then hell yea itd be just as annoying as hearing overly used effects. I mostly jam out with electro mixed with a few subgenres of house so that could be the difference in our point of views also, def wasnt saying your wrong and im right or vice versa. everything in moderation obviously but imo your missing out if only using it a bar or 2 before a drop.

Tech Wizard

where can find his downloads? only see some posts on the ableton forum ba-ba-b-b-but no links, will keep digging but if you have the link or site handy drop me for something you specifically recommend send me a reply por favor.

Also just wondering, what do you guys mix normally?

He is on this forum somewhere, but the best place would be to check the ALDJ forum as he is a regular contributor there.

I play techy stuff. Be it tech house, techno, or other. I soley use ableton for the moment, having been playing for a long time (best part of 20 years), and really like the freedom it gives me, even though it does have it's faults!

Are you the same gordonstrange from ALDJ?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast