Dubstep BPM Question
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Dubstep BPM Question

I notice that dubstep tracks are sold and labeled as 140 BPM (for example).

When I listen to them they sound like 70 BPM to me. The snare lands on the 2 and 4 beat right ???

Why are they labeled 140 BPM ? What does Traktor/Serato etc. usually analyze them at?

That high 140 BPM sounds strange to me as the beat groove is slow like 70 BPM.

Thanks.

>

Imho All Dubstep is 140bpm, it might Sound like 70 but you can happily mix it with anything Breaks around 135+ (as long as you beat match it) Have a go at mixing some breaks & dubstep around 137bpm (generally dubstep seems to all be at 140 for some reason!).

I don't feel that its at 70 but then its like saying dnb is supposed to be at 172bpm but your program picks it up as 86bpm.
    You can dance to it at 86bpm half step time or you can go full out crazy 172 style skankin...

I've never tried to mix anything at 70bpm into dubstep but i'm sure it'd work somehow, halves and all that!

Could be interesting...

Peace
    Macbook Pro 2011, Pioneer DJM 750mk2, 2xTechnics SL-1200mk2, Dicers, Ortofon Concorde Scratch,
    Yamaha HS50M & HS10W, Sennheiser Amperior w/Custom Cans wrapped cable.
    Torq 2.0.3, Traktor 2.81 Rekordbox 5.2
    http://www.thankphat.com

Tech Mentor

You can change the BPM range between which traktor sets the BPM. By default, I believe this is 78-155. You can change this in settings -> file management, if you like, but you can easily just divide the BPM by 2.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

If it reads at 70bpm click times 2 in the beat grid, or divide 2 in the beat grid panel, or whatever you think it calls for. I ussually set all my 70 bpm dubstep at 140 just to keep things moving smoothly.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    I notice that dubstep tracks are sold and labeled as 140 BPM (for example).

When I listen to them they sound like 70 BPM to me. The snare lands on the 2 and 4 beat right ???

Why are they labeled 140 BPM ? What does Traktor/Serato etc. usually analyze them at?

That high 140 BPM sounds strange to me as the beat groove is slow like 70 BPM.

Thanks.

>
    The snares would be on the 2 and 4, but someone stole half of the snares from all the Dubstep producers in the world, so they can only afford to use one in a measure.

So they put them on the 3.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    The snares would be on the 2 and 4, but someone stole half of the snares from all the Dubstep producers in the world, so they can only afford to use one in a measure.

So they put them on the 3.
    Brilliant, funniest post I've read for ages, made me chuckle that. Bravo!
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Its' 140 bpm. That's where the step comes from. Don't let anyone tell you it's 70 bpm.

Its 140 (because of its connection to grime) but what people call half step or half time so the snares land on the 2 and 4 over 2 bars instead of in one.

How come when I mix it with a 70 BPM hip hop track the snares are synced up? Sounds like 70 BPM to me.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    How come when I mix it with a 70 BPM hip hop track the snares are synced up? Sounds like 70 BPM to me.
    Because the drums are in half-time?

Anyhow, does it really matter which exact BPM it is? 70/140 is all the same really, as long as you beatmatch it you're good.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast