Difference between Subs (production or event)
    Tech Guru

Default Difference between Subs (production or event)

Hey guys, I've got a KRK 10s sub that I have at home and i've got a few upcoming events that aren't really big so I thought that the KRK would be enough to just add a little kick to the event. Is there a difference between a production sub like the KRK versus a sub that's actually meant for events. If there is what's a small sub that you guys would suggest for events (house parties, 100-150 ppl).

Honestly, a 10" Sub wont cut it. I rock out 80-200 people house parties with a 15" sub, and sometimes it still just dissipates.

I doubt that there is any difference between the studio sub and event subs, other than the size.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Hey guys, I've got a KRK 10s sub that I have at home and i've got a few upcoming events that aren't really big so I thought that the KRK would be enough to just add a little kick to the event.
    Don't bother, with a room full of people, you won't hear it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Is there a difference between a production sub like the KRK versus a sub that's actually meant for events. If there is what's a small sub that you guys would suggest for events (house parties, 100-150 ppl).
    Live sound gear is generally designed for durability and power handling while studio gear is designed around sound quality.

As for what live sound sub to buy, get the biggest thing your wallet and transportation can handle.

Tech Mentor

The drivers in a pro sound sub are a lot more efficient than the one in your KRKs, they are also capable of a lot higher SPL within their operating range. The trade off is that they are larger, require more power and quite often roll off at a higher frequency than one that you would use at home.

You can get pretty compact powered subs that are suitable for 100-200 people for around a $1k, if you shopped used you could even spend much less. Add more as your parties, or bass needs, grow and you should be set.

Do not, do not, do not use studio equipment for events.

It is very likely you will blow that sub if you try to use it for a live sound rig.

Studio subs and monitors are meant to be used in a small studio room for accurate sound that doesn't have to overcome the sound of a bunch of people and a party and are not meant to be pushed and throw sound the same way PA gear is.

I also have first hand experience and blew a set of studio monitors I tried to use at a small apartment party when I first started DJing and didn't know any better

Tech Mentor

yeah, you'll probably blow it out and or you wont notice it at all. I tried it a few times before buying my sub. I have a budget 15 inch sub right now that i bought from gc for like 600... its still pretty meh. so save up and waste your money on something good, or else you'll end up buying twice.

Tech Guru

Thanks a lot guys great advice. Glad I asked before I even tried.