What will the DJ by like a decade or two from now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What will the DJ by like a decade or two from now

15 years ago all I needed to do as a DJ was buy a stack of vinyl records in my style of choice, learn to beat match and show up at your gig with a heavy bag full of vinyls and start to mix. There was another guy there working the lights, a sound engineer and later of a guy joined with videos and a video screen.

15 years later the guy with the video screen is no longer needed, because video is now integrated into the DJ software for a seamless integration between sound and video. That also means that now I need to learn how VJ-ing works. (Any one know where the heck you can get videos?)

So fast forward twenty years form now, where do you think we will be? Does the DJ not only have to mix, make sure killer videos are projected on the screen, but also program all the lights, control the LASER show, make sure the 3D holographic projections of naked girls dance in sync to whatever tune your were playing?

Where will this end? Quite frankly I'm in this for the music, not the lights, not the video. So call me lazy, but I'm not looking forward to the era where the "DJ" is expected to control all of the show elements of a venue or rave.

What do you think?

Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Robots.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/03/3...of-dj-control/

"I was sick to death of breaking my back carrying this pair of control CDs to every gig!"
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

There was another guy there working the lights, a sound engineer and later of a guy joined with videos and a video screen.

15 years later the guy with the video screen is no longer needed, because video is now integrated into the DJ software for a seamless integration between sound and video. That also means that now I need to learn how VJ-ing works. (Any one know where the heck you can get videos?)
    IMHO unless you are simply playing the actual music videos from the songs (you can get them from iTunes BTW) ... VJing should be left in the hands of a visual artist.

99% of DJ's I know of don't have the slightest notion of how to run a lighting rig PROPERLY or project visuals that reflect the music he's playing in any kind of decent manner.

A DJ should focus on the music and not be worrying about whats on the screens or coming out of the ceiling anyhow - if a club won't hire a lighting guy (if the rig is any good whatsoever) they are just being cheap.

20 years from now - well, someone will still need to pick the records no matter what. The videos, naked lady projections, and lights might have some semblance of decent artificial intelligence / frequency or music detection behind them BUT will still need to be programmed with the settings for that in advance by the Visuals guy unless the club are gonna be happy with random factory programmed shit happening.

Its a bit like voice recognition dictation - remember how we were all told how awesome and easy it was back in the mid 90's. Till today even its bullshit! Manual correction afterwards is needed every time. Hiring proper typist to do it from a recording is STILL a way more efficient and more error free way to put together any kind of decent document :roll eyes:

Technology changes, Jobs change, people adapt or get left behind.

my 2 cents - cya in 20 years.
    Last edited by deevey; 06-15-2012 at 02:08 AM.

It will probably be a bunch of oldschool sync dj's whining about the new mind control devices, and how your not a real dj unless you beatgrid your tracks... so it will be exactly like it is now sync dj's will be the dinosaurs while us beatmatching dj's will be extinct ;p
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    so it will be exactly like it is now sync dj's will be the dinosaurs while us beatmatching dj's will be extinct ;p
    Not extinct my friend, just resting ...

Kinda like Godzilla

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post

RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Not extinct my friend, just resting ...

Kinda like Godzilla
    Then when the final show is played, the resting beatmatching DJ's emerge from their slumber in the dark depths of the ocean to once again reek havoc on the decks, and it shall be a glorious occasion.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast