What do you charge?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do you charge?

So, I've been djing for a little over two years and have been taking any house party/event that I could get to play and get feedback from others. Recently, I was offered a regular gig at a new bar that has opened by me doing two weekends a month when I'm in school and an open option for next summer depending on how the bar does. The owner asked me how much I would charge for the nights (assuming a 9 pm-2am time slot) but I really wasn't too sure what to tell him, so on to my question: What would be a reasonable amount to ask him for? He said he has a booth so I wouldn't really need to bring my equipment except for a few side pieces that I use. Any input would be great from you guys! Thanks in advance!

Matt

Tech Mentor

Do they have a definite genre or is it up to you what to play? Are these prime days (Thurs-Sat) or week days? The second question is what really is going to determine how much you can charge. Another big aspect is where you are located and what the local market will support. If you overshoot your prices, people will easily undercut your business. If you go too cheap, you'll screw yourself out of money. I charge by the block to start with. I do $200 for the first 3 hours, and an additional $75 for each hour after that. This is with my own PA (albeit not the nicest on the block...) and equipment, so this is what I expect. I am also located in Raleigh, NC, and it seems that my prices generally reflect what the market will bear. At the end of the day, all I can tell you is that I'd gauge my abilities and charge accordingly.

From a pure business aspect: Bars aren't looking for the next big thing, they're looking for someone who'll do the job at a passable level for cheap. So gauge your abilities, then maybe tack on an extra $50-$100. This way you have room to negotiate.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

The music is up to me, but I think he was looking for pop/pop club remix music. The nights are going to be Friday and Saturday nights. As far as location, it's about 15-20 minutes from the Jersey Shore so there are a bunch of other bars and clubs pretty close.

Get the most you he'll pay you, that's the name of the game. Ask him what his budget is looking like for entertainment.

Why not just ask for a smaller flat fee and a percentage of bar sales? He does well, you do well, and he isnt stressing about it if not a whole ton of people show up at his new spot. I'd say $150 and 5% of bar sales. Also realize that you are really new as far as djing experience goes, so you arent allowed to charge what someone with say 10 years experience can.

What do they charge for a cover & how crowded is the bar?

A local place here wanted to give me $300 bucks for a 10 to 2 gig. They charge $10 at the door & a minimum of 500 people every fri & sat. So I told him I needed 500 & reminded him you pull 4k minimum at the door. He agreed & we were both very happy in the end. I pulled a great crowd & have the gig once a month now. Remember places that have live bands think they can lowball DJ's because it's the one man band.
    2x Technics SL-12000 mk2 / 2x Numark HDX
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    Novation Dicer / NI Maschine / Kontrol X1 / F1
    TSP2

Depends on the city and the DJ. In Toronto, bar (and small club) gigs often pay DJ's between $200-$300 for 10pm-2am. Some DJ's make up to $1,500, but unless you've got some sort of fame and people will follow you around from club to club, you'd probably get between $200-$300 to DJ for a full 4 hour night around here.

Keep in mind when I reminded him about doing 4k at the door. We are friends. A comment like that may piss some managers/owners off.
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    TSP2

Hey man-I DJ the NY/NJ area as well. Especially since you're just starting out, I would be surprised if you got more than the 200-300 per night. Really surprised. But I think its ok to ask for 300, and see what he offers. If you go below 300, ask for a % of the gate (if there is one). Again, it's a feel thing, depending on how your discussions have gone so far. If you feel really comfortable with him, you can even ask for $100/hr for the summer (netting you 400 for the night). Ultimately, if you get 200 or more, I'd say you're doing ok for just starting out. Good luck!

So judging by the answers here I do pretty damn good.
    TSP2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast