Cue Point Help

Thread: Cue Point Help

Tech Wizard

Default Cue Point Help

Hello DJTT,

I've been working on my mixing skills over the past 2 weeks or so, and I am doing my best to find precise places to transition without the help of cue points, ears over eyes kinda thing. However, I would like to be even more precise and decided to set up some cue points so I know when to fade out and fade in and etc. So my main question would be, is there set points for cue points (Buildups, breakdowns, etc). Mostly spin, electro house/complextro/dubstep.

Thanks!!

ShookStar

Tech Mentor

I'm not sure what your question is. Just place cue points wherever you find them helpful. As for me, I almost always have one on the first beat of the song and on the last beat of the song, as well as during breakdowns and buildups. But it varies.

Tech Wizard

I guess I did word that a bit weird. I'm curious if there is a typical spot for common cues to transition, whether it be the beginning of a buildup (I mix alot of out there), or drops, or end of songs. I don't typically play a whole song through, intro first buildup then drop.

Tech Mentor

A lot of my longer songs have a cue set about 3/4ths of the way through so that I can quickly exit a song as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    I'm not sure what your question is. Just place cue points wherever you find them helpful. As for me, I almost always have one on the first beat of the song and on the last beat of the song, as well as during breakdowns and buildups. But it varies.
    Is the one on the last beat just an out marker or do you use it for something else?
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Mentor

I find it handy to have one on the last beat in case I misjudge the length of the outro. That way, I can end the song instantly without having to just close the crossfader, which almost never sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    I find it handy to have one on the last beat in case I misjudge the length of the outro. That way, I can end the song instantly without having to just close the crossfader, which almost never sounds good.
    i do the same thing. many songs will have a trail-off effect at the end and if you misjudge your mix-in point you can just hit the last cue as needed and it makes the song sound like it ends as it would normally. also it can be fun to continue playing that last trail with some effects to spice up the transition...like a mini one cue juggling situation.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

i always have one on the first beat or mix-in beat as well as the last beat as described above. then it depends on the songs, but i tend to use them as notes in the buildups and breakdown to let me easily glance at what is coming in or dropping out for transitions (i.e. bassline, melody, etc). i do the same thing with areas that may be good for looping if the song has a lot of rising or falling sounds making it tough to drop loops anywhere. i will also use them to skip portions of some songs i think are too long or have areas that i just don't like.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music