2 Channel mixer + mic channel = 3 channels?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2 Channel mixer + mic channel = 3 channels?

I’ve been reading many reviews, surfing different forums, and now i have a list of different mixers, that are a potential buy.
    My needs in the mixer are not much,

3 channel (1&2 = A&B, for mixing with turntables “timecoded”, and 3 = C & D, for remix decks or Maschine )

Good crossfader (for scratching)

3 channel mixers:
    Ecler Nuo 3.0
    Rane Empath
    Any suggestions? Which one is the best bang for the buck?

I’ve also been looking at the 2 channel, but I was wondering if i could somehow get a third channel out of the microphone channel?

List of 2 channel mixers:
    Rane TTM56
    Pioneer djm707
    Allen & Heath Xone: 22
    Ecler HAK 380
    Any suggestions? Which one is the best bang for the buck?

I’m also considering going for a 4 channel, but I haven’t done much researching on that yet.

So to sum up,
    Should I go for a 3 channel mixer?

Buy a 2 channel mixer and then use the mic channel as a third channel, or would that be too complicated to mix with?

Or should I just find a great 4 channel mixer and then only use three channels?

If you got a great mixer I’ve overlooked, then feel free to post a reply!

Hope you can help!

Thanks in advance,

Tech Mentor

You could use the mic channel however you will need to use a DI to drop the line level voltage to mic level voltage.It will also only be a mono channel. Also most mixers only really have a volume pot for the mic and a few also have basic hi and low shelf EQ's (bass and treble). Not really the best for mixing IMO. Buy a 3 channel or 4 channel mixer and be done with it.

If the mic/3rd channel is switchable to line input then yes you can use it

Or just look at 4 channel mixers- they aren't really more expensive than 3 channel mixers and you can get lots of nice 4 channel mixers for the price of an empath. Most manufacturers just don't bother making 3 channel mixers anymore when people want to buy 4 channel mixers.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 06-18-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Tanks for the replies!
    Well then I'll go hunting for a 4 channel mixer.
    Actually, I've already found some.

Ecler nuo 4.0
    Vestax pmc-280
    Denon dn-x1100
    Behringer ddm4000
    And if I can find a cheap one; Allen & Heath xone: 92 / 62 / 42

Got any other mixer, thats good for scratchings?

Having recently gone through the mixer research/purchase process, I would recommend going with a four channel mixer. I was in almost the exact same situation as you except that I wanted 2 channels for (non DVS) TTs, 2 line channels for T2/X1 and an aux for samples etc. I was replacing a scratch mixer with only a mono on the mic channel so that wasn't cutting it. I was also looking at a lot of the same mixers you are but I quickly ruled out (2 channel) scratch mixers because like people said, the mic channel is not usually full featured and you're lucky if you even get eqs.

I was pretty set on an empath rotary for a while but when I played with it I really missed the level meters on the channels. The price was also an issue. I fully respect the Rane brand andd build quality but you can get so much more mixer for that price with other quality brands. The xone 42 comes in well below the emapth, has 4 channels, filters, channel meters. This got me thinking - what would I plug into the 4th channel? and I quickly came up with a whole lot of answers. In your post you say the third channel is"for remix decks or Maschine". Why not both?

The other reason I chose a 4 track is that it's a standard - Traktor has 4 decks, 4 channel mixers are what you find at real gigs, they are just going to be more compatible with current and future products so chances are you will keep it around longer and find more uses for it. So for me it came down to DJM-700 vs. DB:2 and the features/price point was better on the DB:2 at the cost of being a less "standard" choice.

The Allen & Heath db:2 looks sweet, but there is one problem.
    HOLY SHIT it's expensive:-)
    I mean it cost nearly the same as 2x rane empath here in Europe:-) the djm700 on the other side is more affordable here.
    But anyway, I definitely see your point in having 4 channels even though I only use 3 of them

I've heard a lot of positive feedback on Vestax, and the more I read about them, the better I start to like them. Are the pmc-280 the only 4 channel mixer from Vestax that has potential, and can you scratch with it?
    Last edited by FEEDIT; 06-18-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FEEDIT View Post
    The Allen & Heath db:2 looks sweet, but there is one problem.
    HOLY SHIT it's expensive:-)
    I mean it cost nearly the same as 2x rane empath here in Europe:-) the djm700 on the other side is more affordable here.
    But anyway, I definitely see your point in having 4 channels even though I only use 3 of them

I've heard a lot of positive feedback on Vestax, and the more I read about them, the better I start to like them. Are the pmc-280 the only 4 channel mixer from Vestax that has potential, and can you scratch with it?
    I got my DB:2 new and well below the MSRP but I've always had good luck with Vestax too - great value for the money. Def try to play on whatever you are looking at. Some things are really hard to tell from pics and feature sheets.

Well I think I'm really unlucky, TBO.
    I live in a small town, where there is only ONE music store, and he doesn't sell DJ equipment. So everything I buy is from looking at pictures and others experience:-(
    But am I right when I say that the Vestax PMC-280 is the only "great" 4 channel mixer they got? Are there any other 4 channel mixer except from DDM4000, at that pricerange or a little above?

400 euro or a little above is my budget:-)
    Last edited by FEEDIT; 06-18-2012 at 01:31 PM.

FEEDIT - quite a lot of 4 channel mixers aren't out and out scratch mixers - not that in they can't take a decent xfader, but that in the fader area is really cluttered. I've never seen an A&H mixer that I'd like to *seriously* scratch on ... too much shit near your hands
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by audiolive View Post
    You could use the mic channel however you will need to use a DI to drop the line level voltage to mic level voltage.
    That's not what a DI does at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast