DJTT Blog Post - Age of EDM Rockstar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default DJTT Blog Post - Age of EDM Rockstar

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/06/1...-edm-rockstar/

Hasn't this already happened, and passed to some extent, in Europe in the early 2000's with Superclubs/labels etc or is this article just a view from our friends across the Atlantic? Not starting a flame war at all but just seems deja vu from my UK perspective looking back around a decade ago. Just interested in other views.

All the best.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

I don't think the U.S. got that superclub scene to the same extent that it happened in Europe. We had a superclub scene in NYC in the 90s but it was still very DJ dancefloor oriented and not really the rockstar type shows that are going on now.

Tech Convert

"While most of us never had the opportunity to actually be in the crowd at a Rage Against The Machine or Nirvana concert in the early nineties"

I felt old when I read this, I've actually been to some of those concerts

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jesse A View Post
    "While most of us never had the opportunity to actually be in the crowd at a Rage Against The Machine or Nirvana concert in the early nineties"

I felt old when I read this, I've actually been to some of those concerts

lol... me too!

My thought about this whole article and the whole scene of these a$$holes like Aoki and Guetta and the clowns stage diving, running around on stage with hands up etc is this:

I have been DJing for quite some time and have travelled around the world playing infront of massive crowds as well as tiny intimate clubs. There have been plenty of times my hand went up in the air for a brief second, but never once did I act like a jackass and jump up and down like I was curing cancer or anything like that. Its ok to get into what you are doing, except when you aren't actually doing anything, like when these clowns play mix cds etc.

I don't know it it is my techno background, but I would rather be totally in the zone making sure my mixing, looping, and sampling are 100% on before anything else. With that being said, I can remember as teen in the very early 90s going to see techno acts perform live and I was so appreciative when the DJ was so in the zone just paying attention to his mix and what he was doing. I went to hear the best set that dj could deliver, and if he poured champagne on me I probably would have found him after his set and beaten the shit out of him. The US has sadly disappointed me so much over the last 5-10 years with their lack of good music and now this whole movement of these terrible DJs and clowns being honored for their lack of talent is just another straw to add to the camel's broken a$$ back.

I appreciate all types of music so its not really about the genre that is causing it, it has to do with the terrible DJs and the people who support it... I could honestly rant and rave about this topic forever. Sometimes I love to just rip these dudes on my facebook, hell I just ripped Avicii the other night on there... It is sad that music is becoming such garbage in our country here, but its our own fault. Until promoters, clubs, and the general public react and actually make a pressing movement not to book these jerks or pay hundreds of dollars to go see them nothing will help it die off. I just wish that people would wake up.

Ok! End rant!

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    I don't know it it is my techno background,
    Hold on a second, back the trolley up. Let me get this straight, you play techno?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    Hold on a second, back the trolley up. Let me get this straight, you play techno?
    lol

This is similar to what "Rap" did to "Hip-Hop" in the 90's. Your genre(s) are being ransacked by the music industry adapting to generate BIG money.
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

Tech Convert

They follow the dollar signs and stick with it only as long as they keep generating money

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast