learning CDJ from s4 for a small gig
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default learning CDJ from s4 for a small gig

hey guys,

Ive been learning and playing on S4. I might be able to play in about a week but the venue has CDJ and they would want me to use them so that there is no commotion before resident dj.

How long does it take to learn CDJs? I am going to be playing deep tech house. i will probably have 2 hours on the weekend to practise on friend's one. Maybe you can send over the tutorials for basics?

cheers

If you can beatmatch, it's easy.

you would need more than 2 hours to learn how to beat match
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Youtube bro.

How long have you been playing on the s4?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

The transport controls are relatively the same, you don't really need to beat match assuming you have somewhat competent timing skills, and can keep the tracks in time. As long as you're relatively familiar with the tempo variations in your set, you shouldnt have too much trouble tempo matching. The biggest deal is remembering your cues, since you most likely won't have access to cue loading unless you prepare that way.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lucasmanning View Post
    you would need more than 2 hours to learn how to beat match
    on vinyl yes on cdj just cue up and press play on the beat, obv make sure ur tunes are set to the same bpm

If you always use SYNC. Turn it off. Practice with the SYNC off. Don't look at the BPM. The CUE and PLAY buttons were weird to me coming from a DENON DN 2000. Make sure you really understand the JOG wheel and the SET CUE and PLAY on the CDJ's.

>

we still don't know if he's ever beatmatched without SYNC. CDJ's don't have SYNC.

Sync doesnt matter, pretty much every CDJ since 2001, and every Pioneer CDJ, has a BPM readout. The newer ones quantize it based on various inputs. Beatmatching vinyl style is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Sync doesnt matter, pretty much every CDJ since 2001, and every Pioneer CDJ, has a BPM readout. The newer ones quantize it based on various inputs. Beatmatching vinyl style is a waste of time.
    Nooo dont listen to this..... theres a whole element dude you should be familiar with, your going to trainwreck it guarenteed.... do it right and practice using cdj for a while, as in a month first.....your still going to be full of nerves when you play out on them the first time....trust me
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast