Cheap BEHRINGER Class D Amps - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    I'm not sure... that's why I was asking.
    In my experience, I did it by eye. Anything that went past green on the mixers was going to get squashed.
    You didn't accomplish anything using that method.

My eyes are not quite able to see the voltage differential across the terminals of an amp....that's why I have to measure. Oh...and it's why I always turn off the electrical power before I change an outlet, or install a light fixture....I can't see the voltage there either.

Nothing beats actual measurements (when combined with appropriate understanding). Everything else is superstitious nonsense at best.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    You didn't accomplish anything using that method.
    Actually, I did. I limited the signal so it could never go too hot.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Actually, I did. I limited the signal so it could never go too hot.
    Which signal did you limit? What is the value and units of "too hot"? If you don't know these answers, then how can you claim to have actually accomplished something useful?

I am not trying to bust your chops....I am trying to get you to your next epiphany.

Going to those extents seems like it could have some real benefits. But…what do you do when the DJ maxes out the first 3 gain stages (input gain, level, and output gain on the DJ mixer) and in the process clips 2-3 times (input circuitry or ADC, mix bus, and output bus or DAC) before it hits something you can control?

Kinda just seems like a waste compared to just learning how the meters on your FOH console are calibrated.

But, I could be wrong. If I am…please teach me something. I like learning.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Going to those extents seems like it could have some real benefits. But…what do you do when the DJ maxes out the first 3 gain stages (input gain, level, and output gain on the DJ mixer) and in the process clips 2-3 times (input circuitry or ADC, mix bus, and output bus or DAC) before it hits something you can control?
    In practical terms...everything in my signal chain clips at the same time the limiter kicks in. Everyone who uses the system gets the same speech....once you see red on the DJ board, the sound will proceed to suck...more red gets more suck. What they choose to do with that information is their business.

The purpose of the limiter is to protect the speakers from being damaged....I honestly don't care what the limiter does to the sound. If the system isn't loud enough, then it's not loud enough (this is NEVER actually the case....I have more than enough rig for my gigs). Pushing the signal into the red can either make the sound suck (by distorting the signal), or it can make the sound stop (if the drivers get blown). Which option would you prefer?

Good point.

One question, though…are you actually giving the amps a load when you're testing their output? If not, how does that change things?

I'm honestly not sure how solid state amps react to not being driven into a load. It's supposed to be terrible for tube amps.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    One question, though…are you actually giving the amps a load when you're testing their output? If not, how does that change things?
    Tube amps are not something I would use as a mobile DJ. In general, tube amps do require a load in order to measure the output. There are "dummy loads" specifically built to measure tube amp output.

Solid state amps are constant voltage devices, within their limits. This means that the amp can be measured without a load. Most amps have a minimum impedance per channel. At a constant voltage, as impedance drops, the supplied current will increase (this is a text restatement of Ohm's Law). All amps are current limited based on the ability of the amp heat sinks capability to remove heat, and on the ability of the amp power supply to supply power from the wall (in rough terms).

That actually makes sense. And no, I wasn't suggesting that tube amps are appropriate for PA systems. I just have only really thought about that side of them in terms of guitar amps.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234