What to add to the S2 to become better controllerist
    Tech Student

Default What to add to the S2 to become better controllerist

I'm relatively new to the dj scene (5 months give or take) and have had a blast using my s2 and finding new functionalities with it. Right now though I want to expand my ability and options when it comes to fx and cue points in an attempt to get into controllerism. I have been looking into the mf, the mf pro, and the f1. If you guys could lend some advice that'd be great. Btw I was also curious as to whether the mf pro is worth the money vs the mf. I can afford both but if the mf pro isnt worth twice the money itd be great to save the money there.

I guess before you plunk down cash on a new piece, how are your routines with the s2?

Honestly I have seen people throw down some pretty bad ass stuff with the s2. I'm just saying because more equipment does not necessarily mean more skill. You can do fx, usage, and mappings with the s2 (aka DJTT mapping), also you can drop 4 cue points at least with the s2 on it. Are you using beyond 4 cue points already?

I'm just playing devils advocate. I love gear and have an s2, x1 etc etc. And def love having the capabilities of having all those tools, I would just want to make sure you would be using it all to its extent.

If it were me I would consider an x1, then map it to have whatever you like.

Tech Student

My routines are solid and really have no problem mixing. The problems I have stem from my want to be more creative. I feel as if I am mostly playing other peoples stuff (which makes sense as I am not producing anything and don't plan on it atleast in the near future) and I want to make the sound more unique and more of a performance rather than simply moving between songs and adding small alterations. And I have run into the problem of not having as many cue points as I want. I'm limited to 4 cue points when I want to have somewhere around 6 or 7 sometimes.

I know that it may not be a neccecity to buy a new piece of equipment and I may not end up doing it, but I personally find no harm in trying to upgrade and experiment

Add moar skillz.
    Profit.

maybe the new native instruments F1
    MBP late 2011 13 inch i7 8 gb ram 750 GB HD, traktor pro 2-2.5.0, beats by dr dre mixr

Tech Student

The x1 is also a very appealing alternative, but with the news of f1 and the fact that it appears to be the only proper controller for the new remix decks in 2.5 I thought that might be the better decision. Do you think the x1 is still the better option? I agree that the x1 probably fits my needs more so i guess now im wondering whether it is worth it to leave the remix decks alone for now and just improve in steps and go with the x1/ just stay with the s2, or are the remix decks and f1 worth it?

Tech Mentor

I have never used the F1 but I think the X1 added to a s2 would be perfect for fx & cue juggling.

I personally like the x1 a lot. Especially paired with a s2. I use the 4 pad below as a midi fighter set up basically and have the other knobs set up for effects and filters since the s2 lacks the true filter.

I'd chill for a couple of months, honestly. Controllerism is at a pivotal moment right now with the release of Traktor 2.5 and all the new modular controllers in the last couple months and the next couple months. Let the dust settle for a couple months. Let the community finish fixing NI's moneymaking "no we promise it's because we're bad at programming" scheme, so we can map the remix decks to other controllers, let the new controllers come out.

The Behringer's CMD line is about to come out, and at the point you seem to be at, I'd definitely check those out. With creative mapping, ANY of those could add a lot of possibilities for you, far beyond what you can do with an F1 or the X1, for half the price (twice as many controllers!).

Also check out mappings for the midi fighter. Consider the 3D, not for the motion controls necessarily, but for the control layer options you have because of the colors to tell you which page you're on.
    Last edited by faderswagger; 06-20-2012 at 02:01 PM.