Is the vci-100 pitc fader any use for beatmatching??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is the vci-100 pitch fader any use for beatmatching??

was just reading a post on the TT forum about trying to make the pitch fader more accurate when adjusting the pitch of a track.

I noticed today when I was trying to learn the whole beatmatching skill that I could get the tracks in sync for a bit but because the pitch slider wont go to the exact tempo that the other track is at it goes all out!?!?

Some people were sayin that you can get a higher resolution using the jog wheels and others saying they have their pitch faders set at +/- 6% if this can be done how can you do this?

Encase you are wondering, im into trance, house, prog etc.

Would the CDJ mode for the jogwheels sort me out???

Thanks lads!!
    Last edited by louisf1819; 05-29-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Hey louisf1819,

Two tools you can use to beatmatch are:
    1. pitch fader
    2. jog wheel

Using the pitchfader you can change the tempo of the track which will let you beatmatch. To help you make minor temporary adjustments you can use the jog wheel to "pitch bend" the track.

People are recommending you decrease the range on your pitchfader because it will decrease the sensitivity of your pitchfader making your adjustments more forgiving when beatmatching.

Make sure you don't have sync turned on because I'm thinking using sync and beatmatching is counterproductive.

This video explains and demonstrates beatmatching with CDJs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiAeqlJ2d6c

To reduce the range in TP go to Preferences > Transport > Pitch Fader Range.

You can also change the Pitch Bend settings below that.

To pitchbend using the VCI 100 touch the glass part of the jog wheel. Touching the metal part will stop the record just if it was vinyl.
    Setup: Laptop, Traktor Pro, VCI100SE, Audiofire 4
    Windows XP Ultimate by Johnny, Service Pack 3
    Intel Pentium M, 1.6GHz, 2Gigs Ram
    http://www.myspace.com/djczo

Tech Mentor

The reason is with MIDI controls, faders/knobs work in increments of 1/127. What this means is, as you slide your fader from top to bottom, it only sends out 127 messages to your computer. That's not very precise as you can imagine, and is partly why I really don't care for beatmatching when using MIDI.

On the other hand I love beatmatching on vinyl because it feels 100x easier.

So using the glass part of the jog will pitch bend which i already know, but that doesn't solve my problem of matching the bpm exactly. Is there supposed to be a way of using the jog wheels to fine tune with out it being temporary?

Tech Mentor

I tend to hit the sync button when cueing a track so the bpms are the same then its very easy to drop the track and keep it matched with the outer jog wheels I hardly use the pitch fader tbh. The sync deactivates when I hit pitch bend but the bpms stay the same.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Totally with R2D2 on this. If im using timecode or just decks ill beatmatch and enjoy djing the way i learnt.
    If im using the VCI its for controllerism . Ive got better things to be doing than fannying around with pitch faders (that arent that precise). Hit sync, get the tracks aligned and then make adjustments with pitch bend and do some crazy shit with the contoller. My sync button is set to Hold so it doesnt stay on but if you want it on all the time just do it.

Each to his own. I like to mix dj methods and i dont care about one or the other. For me controllerism isnt about replicating turntable djing. Its about opening up my scope for doing stuff i cant with decks alone.

You do get used to the pitch faders but they are a bit clumsy... or is it me thats clumsy... probably

Quote Originally Posted by ceezo66 View Post
    People are recommending you decrease the range on your pitchfader because it will decrease the sensitivity of your pitchfader making your adjustments more forgiving when beatmatching.
    i think if you decrease the range of the pitchfader you increase the sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    i think if you decrease the range of the pitchfader you increase the sensitivity.
    You're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Totally with R2D2 on this. If im using timecode or just decks ill beatmatch and enjoy djing the way i learnt.
    If im using the VCI its for controllerism . Ive got better things to be doing than fannying around with pitch faders (that arent that precise). Hit sync, get the tracks aligned and then make adjustments with pitch bend and do some crazy shit with the contoller. My sync button is set to Hold so it doesnt stay on but if you want it on all the time just do it.

Each to his own. I like to mix dj methods and i dont care about one or the other. For me controllerism isnt about replicating turntable djing. Its about opening up my scope for doing stuff i cant with decks alone.

You do get used to the pitch faders but they are a bit clumsy... or is it me thats clumsy... probably
    He has a great perspective on your style of DJing and what equipment you're using at the moment.

If you really want to beatmatch get some nice CDJs or turntables.

Tech Mentor

I grew up on vinyl when I first learned about sync i naturally thought it was a cheat ect blah blah blah trust me I hated on it !!!! but tbh all sync is doing for me with a vci is finding the sweet spot which on vinyl takes about a few secs then the pitch bend is like squeezing the spindle or touching the outer platter of a Technics same thing

I love my Vinyl always will trust me I have a far few thousand disks spent a shit load of my money growing up on it really I see all this digital mixing esp with controllers a progression imo at least with the vci or any thing with platters

I can rock anything that has a spinning circular disk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast