I might be crazy but..... breathing new life into Djing for me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default I might be crazy but..... breathing new life into Djing for me

I have been stalking these forums for years so heres my little story.

Brief History of me: I started DJing/mixing mostly in my bedroom when I was 16 . I am 22 now and still haven't dropped this hobby. I truly love almost all dance music and listen to it constantly. I saved my pennies to get a set of 1200's, a worthless unmark mixer and SSL. I didn't start on vinyl so I did not have the attraction to them as much as others on these forums.

A year later I upgraded to a Xone 92R and Traktor Scratch.
    Now I ditched the turntables and I am using 2 Kontrol X1's paired with my Xone.

My Dilemma: So lately I have spent many hours looking for new music like usual. When I am digging for more music the entire time I am thinking this would sound fantastic with this track. I am really excited to go try my new tracks.

When I actually get to mixing I sync the music and try to fill my time with layering loops, effects, ect. I focus on my computer the whole time and try to be next level if you want to call it that.

I absolutely hate it. I find my mixes a year ago honestly sound more sonically pleasing when I spent more time blending my tracks, staying in the mix and really focusing on my track selection. When I use my X1's to just sync tracks, blend my mix, and use minor effects I am bored and really don't like their feel. I also feel I am not using the software for what it is capable of and that I should be.

I now want to rid my laptop out of my setup and go to 2 CDJ-900's or 2000's. Return to focusing on mixing not on a laptop.

---------

Am I crazy for wanting to do this. Am I limiting myself? Thanks for help guys and gals. I really want to make DJing for enjoyable again.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by gindu View Post
    I have been stalking these forums for years so heres my little story.

Brief History of me: I started DJing/mixing mostly in my bedroom when I was 16 . I am 22 now and still haven't dropped this hobby. I truly love almost all dance music and listen to it constantly. I saved my pennies to get a set of 1200's, a worthless unmark mixer and SSL. I didn't start on vinyl so I did not have the attraction to them as much as others on these forums.

A year later I upgraded to a Xone 92R and Traktor Scratch.
    Now I ditched the turntables and I am using 2 Kontrol X1's paired with my Xone.

My Dilemma: So lately I have spent many hours looking for new music like usual. When I am digging for more music the entire time I am thinking this would sound fantastic with this track. I am really excited to go try my new tracks.

When I actually get to mixing I sync the music and try to fill my time with layering loops, effects, ect. I focus on my computer the whole time and try to be next level if you want to call it that.

I absolutely hate it. I find my mixes a year ago honestly sound more sonically pleasing when I spent more time blending my tracks, staying in the mix and really focusing on my track selection. When I use my X1's to just sync tracks, blend my mix, and use minor effects I am bored and really don't like their feel. I also feel I am not using the software for what it is capable of and that I should be.

I now want to rid my laptop out of my setup and go to 2 CDJ-900's or 2000's. Return to focusing on mixing not on a laptop.

---------

Am I crazy for wanting to do this. Am I limiting myself? Thanks for help guys and gals. I really want to make DJing for enjoyable again.
    Yeah i did the same thing just waiting for my mixer to get delivered now you won't regret it trust me

you wont regret getting cdj 2000s
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Nothing crazy about it at all. It might even lead you to the blend between "next level" and traditional that you are seeking. If you change your mind you aren't going to really lose money on reselling the gear.

Tech Wizard

I dumped my S2 for CDJ's and a DJM, mixing with a USB stick with no computer in sight, best decision I've ever made.
    Twitter.com/KalinTyler

OP, I wish I started on CDJs and CDs rather than Traktor. I feel like I've cheated myself of an excellent experience from just playing "old school". I'm trying to scale back from traktor but its certainly a pain in the ass to burn CDs, since I dont have CDJs with flash drive ports. I'm getting better now, considering I have a mixer with a great FX unit onboard now. I salute your "downgrade" back to analog mixing and hope you enjoy it! Hope to see you there!
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

wait a minute.

Youve already got a laptop + traktor scratch?

So why would you want CDJ's?

Its all about the DVS baby! Bag yourself some 1210's!

Honestly, I feel where you're coming from. I had the same thing a couple of years back and went for turntables.
    Turn off all the 'next level shit' and feel the music again, it wont take long
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Convert

Thanks everyone.

My goal is to get the laptop out of my setup to be honest the more I think of it. I want to focus on mixing and not a computer. I realize I should just put the laptop over on the side and mix. It just doesn't feel right to me mixing on a laptop. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to mix.

-I feel people should mix on the medium they enjoy most and not what other people say people should be moving to.

Also, I think I have my mind set on it. It just is hard for me to swallow always having a computer in my setup.

Skim over my setup thread. Similar story.

Despite complaining about them being insanely overpriced or crap, I'd probably buy CDJs if I could justify the expense to myself so I didn't have to think about a computer while I was spinning.

Tech Mentor

Similar story here...

I just went back form Traktor Scratch Pro, using Turntables to CDJs.

Reasons:

1. I justed hated using the Laptop. All the unplug-plugin work when playing out (which honestly was mostly just once a month, but still...), and having to pick up the laptop, connect it, start the software whenever I wanted to play at home. The last part may sound silly, but to me it kinda felt like having to interrupt foreplay and go to the bathroom to look for a condom, if you know what I mean. Not really an issue, but kind of a show-stopper when all you want is get it on...
    2. It kind of made me a worse DJ... I found myself buying too much music and not knowing it well enough anymore. Instead of learing my tracks I learned to rely on waveforms instead. Which gets you really far technically, but musically no waveform in the world can beat trained ears and a DJ who knows his tunes.
    3. I just didn't like scrolling in a list for tracks any more. I actually went back to CDJ800 MK2s and started burning CDs, as flipping through a CD book or record bag just feels so much better than scrolling through tracks on a screen.

Right now, I'm really happy with my decision. I'm probably going to keep Traktor in case I get to play somewhere where they don't have CDJs, but right now I'm having so much fun just playing with CDs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast