Transferring iTunes + Traktor From MBP (OSX snow leopard) -> MBP (OSX Lion)

Default Transferring iTunes + Traktor From MBP (OSX snow leopard) -> MBP (OSX Lion)

hey there guys
    getting a new MBP soon

my old macbook pro 13 inch is on OSX snow leopard while my new MBP will be OSX Lion (unfortunately impossible to get it in OSX snow leopard anymore coz they all moved on to lion now)

would it be fine if i just maintain the same directory structures for both itunes AND Traktor, and copy them (itunes folder and Traktor folder in apps) across to my new MBP (And maybe installing a fresh TSP2 installation on top of the traktor to make sure its installed properly)

would this work? is there any new directory changes in Lion that will prevent this?

In theory if i maintain the exact same directory structure i should have no problem right?

anyone got any success stories before when migrating itunes and traktor from MBP to MBP?
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

i think you can get all your files with a time maschine backup to the new MBP. dont know if there will be any difficulties cause of the two different OSX version but i doubt it..

if i buy a new computer i always see it as a fresh start, so i dont use old backups, but simply copy the files i need.
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Easy Methods

Method 1.

1. Buy External 2.5 USB Disc Caddy
    2. Install your Old MacBooks Disk into caddy
    3. Plug in USB Cable
    4. Run Migration Assistant, select account and choose Applications/Files
    5. Done

Method 2.

1. Connect both computers to the LAN (preferably Gigabit).
    2. Open Migration Assistant on both Computers
    3. On the old machine hit Transfer to a new computer
    4 On new Machine Transfer from old Computer
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions
    6. Wait a while
    7. Done

Method 3 - If you already have an external USB hard drive.

1. Download Carbon Copy Clone
    2. Make a Clone of the Old Computer.
    3. When Finished Plug USB into New computer
    4. Run Migration assistant, select account and choose Applications/Files
    5. Done.

ALL your Applications and Files will be set up exactly the same as the old computer was with the same applications and file structure - no changes necessary... if you have a ton of music I'd go for option 1 or 3

*You may need to delete duplicate applications.

Oh and Just an FYI - the users/Library Folder (containing app prefs) is hidden by default in Lion.

I didn't read any of the replies, but if people mentioned time machine or migration assistant, they're right.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can install SL on a new Apple…you just have to still have the disk.

Also, Lion is awesome. I think there were issues at first, and some people hate Mission Control as opposed to spaces. And I hate knowing that they're devoting some RAM to BS like Launchpad, but it doesn't seem to mater in practice.

I think the bigger issues is making sure all your USB stuff works with USB 3.0.
    Last edited by mostapha; 06-21-2012 at 06:18 AM.

hey thanks for the replies

i think im gonna try the migration assistant thingie (thanks - never used it before so i think might give it a try), dont wanna time machine or carbon clone the whole system as i think it'll be better to start on a fresh clean system

i just have too many playlists in itunes that co-relates to my traktor collection, so the two are like... inseperable, i just wanna make sure everything stays intact (playlists, grids etc,) after the migration, including my itunes coz a lot of my playlists are sorted on itunes as well

thanks!
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50