Ideas on where to move?!
    Tech Wizard

Default Ideas on where to move?!

I been DJin for well over a year now at local house parties as well as small warehouse parties. I'm going to apply to colleges next year and i know i would need to move to NYC or Florida. I currently reside in Indiana and thats not an ideal place for music development.

My goal is too
    -Work at the local clubs/bars and get to know the bosses in order to DJ
    -Produce music to get my name out there and get booked for Djing
    -Get a decent education in business administration but DJING is what i want to do!

Any suggestions on what colleges to choose from in Florida or NYC?

Depends greatly on the style of music you want to DJ/ produce.

Also don't make the mistake of thinking "Oh I'll just start producing to get booked". This works for like 1% of DJs who produce. Production only really works on a binary viral basis, you have to BOTH be really really good at it, AND get lucky.

Odds are, you'll probably have a better shot just trying to get booked by knowing people, and getting bigger and bigger gigs based on who sees you play.

Tech Wizard

house/club/electronic!

I have lived in both, as well as many other places around the globe...

So consider this... if you move to FL for school you need to be in the Miami Dade area. I would try and stay no more than 30 minutes outside Miami. I lived in Fort Lauderdale for 3 years and that was about a 25-30 minute drive into Miami. I can't give you a good recommendation on the schools to choose from in Florida, but just make sure you are close to Miami since that is going to be your best bet for music and getting involved in clubs.

If you choose somewhere in NY then you have a ton of options. You can stay in the city, or even look into schools like say, Rutgers University in NJ, which is only like 20 minutes outside NY. There are just so many schools in NYC or just outside the city that I would say NY is your best bet. Again, don't rule out NJ since it is so close, cost of living is cheaper, and you can just jump a train right into the city.

Generally speaking, schools in NYC are better than those in Miami as well.

NYC. Imo there is just so much you can get into. PLus dubspot is there!

Tech Wizard

the reviews sound great, I usually play house/techno/electro music so I'm just trying to find a place that plays that often and get my name out there!.