Tryin to get an event started in my hometown.. (southern illinois specifically)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tryin to get an event started in my hometown.. (southern illinois specifically)

So i live in a small hick town (country music, backroads, beer (Stag, busch, natty), cows and corn fields) are all very popular. I only personally know 1 other dj whose into electronic music and is an actual dj mixing mapping etc. The rest of the 400 djs are wedding windows media player youtube djs and they get booked all the time.. Well im starting an Electro-Fest in southern illinois and so far i have decent feed back from alotta people saying they are going which is great... Do you guys have any tips or advice to promote this besides hanging up flyers around towns... and if you are semi local around southern illinois ud be more than welcome to be a part of the event so yeh...

Dwonka27

read some statistic that it takes at least 14 Facebook or twitter notifications of some sort for people to pay attention to something

Tech Convert

I venture down to Effingham, from ChI-Town for work regularly. Where are you throwin this party and when? Maybe i can play, i do electro house, glitch-hop, dubstep. And my advice would be to get as many people who like the music there as possible, and when i say people i mean hot girls. you get them everyone else will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by seitz View Post
    read some statistic that it takes at least 14 Facebook or twitter notifications of some sort for people to pay attention to something
    I can't tell if trolling or not....

Don't ever do this. Ever. Viral marketing is my dayjob. I promise It doesn't work.

http://www.facebook.com/events/375688519143205/ but i will say i am paying out of pocket for room rental etc. so reimbursement for gas etc would be out of my hands unfortunately... if i could pay i would but this is more like a test run for a bigger 10x's better party around Halloween.

what would be a good way to promote besides simply postin an event on FB using my twitter and hanging up flyers around towns n bars? mind u everything is out of pocket from me and me alone and my pocket is anything but steep.....

It's fucking time-consuming. For events, word of mouth is so important that it makes everything else barely worth fucking with. Facebook events should be treated only as a way to personally measure how many people are going, and to give info about the event. Thinking they're going to work as marketing is just obnoxious.

The best way to market is to literally talk to people. person-to-person promo. I'm serious. Flyers are important to leave with people, but in marketing on a local/small scale, we've never found anything more successful than verbally talking up the product. Face to face is best, and the best way to do it is called "exit promo" in the rave scene. Since you don't have other events to do exit promote at, talking to people on facebook chat is good too. The key is to be genuine, not pitchy. Make it feel incidental that you're bringing up the thing you're promoting, as best you can. Exaggerate, make it seem like a big deal, and it will be a big deal. Remember that nothing you say in conversation is any more of a lie than anything you'd be implying in print anyways.

Recruit a few people to help you promote this way by offering to comp them in if they help you get more people to go. This works even better if you can make them do it because they feel important, more than because they're saving money. This is especially handy with people that have a lot of friends that they can encourage to come because they're going.

In the same vein, the "reduced price" list is also a great tool. Make people feel special and VIP, even if half the people attending are on the reduced list "because they seem like a cool person" to you.

I actually use this shpeel with clients all the time... never gotten to use it with the correct context like this haha :
    I wasn't around at the time of the old illegal warehouse parties, but they were 100% word of mouth, and had great attendance. Somehow we now have lower numbers for independent events, despite insanely unprecedented numbers for big events. I blame it all on facebook and "new" marketing. People thinking that facebook replaces word of mouth. The best way to promote on this kind of scale is people telling each other they're going.
    Last edited by faderswagger; 06-21-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by faderswagger View Post
    It's fucking time-consuming. For events, word of mouth is so important that it makes everything else barely worth fucking with. Facebook events should be treated only as a way to personally measure how many people are going, and to give info about the event. Thinking they're going to work as marketing is just obnoxious.

The best way to market is to literally talk to people. person-to-person promo. I'm serious. Flyers are important to leave with people, but in marketing on a local/small scale, we've never found anything more successful than verbally talking up the product. Face to face is best, and the best way to do it is called "exit promo" in the rave scene. Since you don't have other events to do exit promote at, talking to people on facebook chat is good too. The key is to be genuine, not pitchy. Make it feel incidental that you're bringing up the thing you're promoting, as best you can. Exaggerate, make it seem like a big deal, and it will be a big deal. Remember that nothing you say in conversation is any more of a lie than anything you'd be implying in print anyways.

Recruit a few people to help you promote this way by offering to comp them in if they help you get more people to go. This works even better if you can make them do it because they feel important, more than because they're saving money. This is especially handy with people that have a lot of friends that they can encourage to come because they're going.

In the same vein, the "reduced price" list is also a great tool. Make people feel special and VIP, even if half the people attending are on the reduced list "because they seem like a cool person" to you.

I actually use this shpeel with clients all the time... never gotten to use it with the correct context like this haha :
    I wasn't around at the time of the old illegal warehouse parties, but they were 100% word of mouth, and had great attendance. Somehow we now have lower numbers for independent events, despite insanely unprecedented numbers for big events. I blame it all on facebook and "new" marketing. People thinking that facebook replaces word of mouth. The best way to promote on this kind of scale is people telling each other they're going.
    totally appreciate the feedback man ... will take in everyway possible and try and execute at my best ability i hope thngs turn out great as this would be something huge for me and my community

Firs things first, you gotta rent both copies of footloose old and new.

I always hire people to spread the word. Doing something like paying commission per ticket a person can sell is a great way to get the word out and get more people involved in your event.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast