External mixer via Traktor Audio 2 to Ableton Live?
    Tech Student

Default External mixer via Traktor Audio 2 to Ableton Live?

My DJ friends in Orlando use a set up where they use the Launchpad for Decks A and B, a looper and a music bag, then they use an external mixer they've set up to control Ableton with a Traktor Audio 2 sound card.

The mixer is so they have hands on faders and nobs rather than pretty much DJing with a mouse on live.

My question is how do I get ableton to sync up my Numark M2 with it?

Also, is it possible to run two Numark400 CDJ's through the M2, into Traktor Pro 2 with a timecode? Or...
    I really just need help making a functioning setup with a software.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

1. You'll only be able to use timecode if you have an Audio4 or Higher.
    2. You can use the mixer by outputting the channels from Ableton
    3. You can Sync using midi clock in Ableton to control traktor OR manual beatmatching within Ableton.

You'll need to provide a lil more info on your setup - which platform ? .. Windows or Mac ?

What you will be doing is essentiality outputting 2 decks of Traktor to a virtual audio cable into Ableton and then outputting those individual channels to the two M2 mixer channels.

IMHO unless you are going to have clip controller as well e.g. launchpad theres not much point in routing to Ableton.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    1. You'll only be able to use timecode if you have an Audio4 or Higher.
    2. You can use the mixer by outputting the channels from Ableton
    3. You can Sync using midi clock in Ableton to control traktor OR manual beatmatching within Ableton.

You'll need to provide a lil more info on your setup - which platform ? .. Windows or Mac ?

What you will be doing is essentiality outputting 2 decks of Traktor to a virtual audio cable into Ableton and then outputting those individual channels to the two M2 mixer channels.

IMHO unless you are going to have clip controller as well e.g. launchpad theres not much point in routing to Ableton.
    Thanks much.
    I'm running on Windows. I did a bit more research and found out that pretty much my deck is inadequate to hook up to a computer; even with the audio 2.
    The purpose is to use a mixer for a hands on mixing feel; cross fading, mixing, etc while using the launchpad as the decks on ableton. It's a unique set up that the new software djs have started to pick up in Orlando. I pretty much found out I just need a mixer with a midi out to usb in. Then use the Launchpad as needed for samples, loops and tracks.

It's a pain really. Keep buying the wrong shit.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Honestly if I were in your shoes and needed to buy additional gear anyhow, I'd go for a serato +bridge setup and save yourself a world of hurt trying to miss mash Traktor and Ableton together.

OR

Depending on what your intentions with Ableton are, Traktor 2.5 + an F1 would probably tick most, if not all the boxes rather than even bothering with Ableton whatsoever - its overkill unless you are using VST's, multiple channel sampling, live production or as your primary DJ software IMO.

Screen switching between apps is annoying, syncing the two clocks is a major pain in the backside and the enjoyment factor IMHO goes right out the window when you have to keep staring at a screen to make sure you aren't pressing the wrong button or launching the right clip.

It's a unique set up that the new software djs have started to pick up in Orlando
    Better to have stuff that works as intended than try to do what the "new software dj's" are doing, you'll find that most big name djs' with more live experience then them have gone back to more simplified setups for a reason.

I did a bit more research and found out that pretty much my deck is inadequate to hook up to a computer; even with the audio 2.
    Yep your Numark 400's seem to have an issue with timecode, an audio 2 only has outputs, you would need at least an audio4 to run.
    Last edited by deevey; 06-22-2012 at 05:55 AM.