Perplexing sound quality issue with my digital set up in club
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Perplexing sound quality issue with my digital set up in club

Hi everyone
    I've recently been playing in a club in Tokyo with my digital set up.
    One of the big observations was the difference in sound quality between my own equipment and that of the clubs.
    To be honest I am really disappointed that my digital kit doesn't deliver the clean sound the the clubs pioneer CDs and mixer achieves. I really want to know if anyone else has had this problem and what solutions you've found.
    I'm running Traktor + Audio 4DJ (routed into one of the pioneer mixer's channels) + VCI100 + mixing with WAV files.
    Some people have said that you need to invest in high end USB and audio cables. Can this be true or is there something I've missed? No matter what I do with the club's pioneer mixer and it's eq's I get a wooly sound.
    Such to the point that I might ditch my kit and focus on the CDJ set up.

weird. There is thousands of people out there using your exact set-up. You would have heard about issues out there before. I would try unhooking the CDJ and going straight into that input. Maybe stupid observation, but make sure you are not in a phono input. One DJ once switched my line input to phono to sabotage my set. I noticed immediately and he had left the party in a hurry. You could try different wires but they don't have to be expensive. Maybe one of yours is just defective. I am interested to see the resolution here.

Tech Guru

A little off topic, but have you considered just using the clubs equipment? One of the reasons they invest big money in house equipment is to assure they will have good quality sound, among other things. Maybe next time instead of using just your set-up, or using just their CDJ's, you can incorporate your Audio 4 with their CDJ's using DVS, and you can see if it sounds any different. If it sounds good, you can probably eliminate the Audio 4 as being the problem you are having with sound quality.

Analog sounds warmer than digital. If you use an analog mixer, it will always sound "better"* than a digital controller. That's why many people choose to mix timecode with a mixer in external rather than a controller in internal mode.

*better - subjective. Same as vinyl sounds better than CD. Might not sound better to everyone, but generally, most people will tell you analog sounds better.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Guru

Analog doesn't necessarily sound better and he's running through the external mixer, not straight to Club PA.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Guru

Analog mixers feel better to mix on though :-)
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by D-Kem View Post
    Analog doesn't necessarily sound better and he's running through the external mixer, not straight to Club PA.
    Mixing w/ the internal mixer in Traktor though....running it thru a channel on a mixer and actually EQ'n and mixing in Traktor is not what he meant when he brought up how analog tends to be more pleasing

thanks for trying to solve the problem guys. you think everytime a DJ goes from CDJ to Traktor there is a sound drop off? c'mon guys. Traktor would be dead. use your brains.

you guys sound just like the 320k mp3 VS WAV idiots.

Are you getting your gain staging correct? Where is Traktor peaking internally? Where do you have it set going into the mixer? etc.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    thanks for trying to solve the problem guys. you think everytime a DJ goes from CDJ to Traktor there is a sound drop off? c'mon guys. Traktor would be dead. use your brains.

you guys sound just like the 320k mp3 VS WAV idiots.
    Hey top gun, ONE guy suggested the analog theory. On a more serious note though, there really is no need to act condescending. We're all just trying to help each other

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast